Should fresh cut candle stubs face the sun? JBP

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should be rotating your tree every week so that all sides get sun throughout the summer.
Otherwise one side gets weak

When I cut candles on my pines they are all around the whole tree so some of them are always facing the sun

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You should be rotating your tree every week so that all sides get sun throughout the summer.
Otherwise one side gets weak

When I cut candles on my pines they are all around the whole tree so some of them are always facing the sun

I do that. My curiosity was whether the raw cut part should be sunned.
Thanks for reply.
:)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm thinking now about those old Japanese JBP's with all their branches wired over decades and all the candles pointing up. Those all face the sun, no matter how one would rotate the plant.

There's two sensible sides to the story: desiccation is the key player here.
Let's say a stub desiccates fast, the sap dries up and forms a nice scab on the wound protecting it.
Let's say a stub desiccates slow, the sap will dry slowly and will allow callus to form more evenly and heal better.
Both produce equal amounts of back buds from the node below.

I think the length of the stub matters more than the sun exposure, leave a millimeter extra if you're worried. But then again, I'm in Europe and I haven't done a whole lot of candle cutting this year. It's bulk year for my pines.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It shouldn’t matter at all. I’ve never had a problem with this.

Top Bottom