Should I air layering this Seiryu maple

kudos91

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi everyone,

I just purchased this seiryu maple and I'm still deciding what to do with it while it is being delivered. Like most Japanese maple I think this one is grafted as you can clearly see from 2 colors of the trunk. Luckily the low graft was done quite well so apart from the color difference, the transition zone looks really smooth. Now I have a hard time deciding if I should air layering in spring right above the graft, since it is a smooth graft already, do you think it's worth the risk to air layering it?

Thank you in advacne for your help and input!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 172

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the graft bothers you can can air layer this cultivar right above the graft as they air layer quite easily.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't bother with air layering anything...at this point. The union looks well-matched. It will likely blend together quite well over time. Not like a bulged up crummy graft that are often seen on JM varieties.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Good graft so if that's the tree you get any color and size difference will be hidden in the natural thickening of the lower trunk and nebari.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get the tree to you, then decide. It can very well be that it is grafted. But it is not obvious, and even zoomed in on the picture it remains uncertain (But in real life it will be clearer, I am sure). First see the tree. I do not think at this point I would decide to layer the trunk.

kudos91

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks a lot everyone for your input. My preference is to avoid air layering, too, so when the tree arrive next week I will take a close look again and if everything is smooth then I will repot it in a big vase and deciding on the chopping this spring

I think most of us agree.
Picture 2 shows a decent nebari and a good movement...
Indeed I like the agnle from the second photo too 😁 I think i might chop it down from above first o second branch, which one do you think could e a better choice?

did you buy it off ebay or etsy?
I bough this one on ebay ( the German one though). I didn't even plan to buy anything, just casual browsing the maples and then I saw this one and felt in love, well you know the rest :p

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think i might chop it down from above first o second branch, which one do you think could e a better choice?

I wouldn't prune it so low.

BTW, you should mention your location in your profile. You said it's from "the German E-bay", but are you in Germany, Belgium, or elsewhere ?
The right time for some operations like repotting, wintering, etc. varies from one place to another. You will get more accurate advice on such technical subjects if we knew where you live...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I bough this one on ebay ( the German one though). I didn't even plan to buy anything, just casual browsing the maples and then I saw this one and felt in love, well you know the rest :p
neat! i wonder if its more popular to sell on ebay, etsy, or if its worth it to sell on both...

etsy has been getting pretty popular (international i believe too)
and there are nice maples for sale on there too i was looking at recently.

i never looked much on ebay. looks like a couple hundred dollar tree you bought there, and great colors, not bad form, etc.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@kudos91 : Thanks for updating your profile. I suppose you have a real "continental climate" with harsh winters and hot summers...

kudos91

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I wouldn't prune it so low.

BTW, you should mention your location in your profile. You said it's from "the German E-bay", but are you in Germany, Belgium, or elsewhere ?
The right time for some operations like repotting, wintering, etc. varies from one place to another. You will get more accurate advice on such technical subjects if we knew where you live...
Thank @AlainK, I alredy updated the location. so the weather in Bonn is not so terrible for Germany actualy. it's not so hot in summer (indeed there was no summer this year...) and in winter normally it's around 5-6 degree celcius. On rare oaccasion it went to -10 but only for 1 week.

neat! i wonder if its more popular to sell on ebay, etsy, or if its worth it to sell on both...

etsy has been getting pretty popular (international i believe too)
and there are nice maples for sale on there too i was looking at recently.

i never looked much on ebay. looks like a couple hundred dollar tree you bought there, and great colors, not bad form, etc.
Ok @hinmo24t now I'm impressed :oops: Normaly I only check ebay and in the past I only bough rare cactus and succulent plants there so this is the first time I bough a tree, I guess I paid a fair price then. I paid a total of exactly 200 dollars (after converting) shipping from Austria to Germany included. The seller asked for more but I sent in an offer and got 30 bucks off

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Seiryu is 33 years old from a 1 gallon pot. It went through a period where the rootstock was fairly bulbous but the top finally caught up. You can still see the graft however. This tree is at least 18 feet tall and wider than that.IMG_6268 (1).JPG

kudos91

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This Seiryu is 33 years old from a 1 gallon pot. It went through a period where the rootstock was fairly bulbous but the top finally caught up. You can still see the graft however. This tree is at least 18 feet tall and wider than that.View attachment 413953
wao it should look great that tall in real life I guess. Thanks a lot for sharing this, this is what makes me going back and fort if I should layering because something like this might happen. But I think I will just keep it in medium side pot and keep pruning heavily to avoid that the root overgrow the trunk. I think and airlayering might not develop a nice root like yours though

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
agree second photo

why not airlayer above first branch close to second then chop to first when time comes..?

meanwhile, develop with two trees in mind..
force buds on new leader, watch light, feeding, and such to keep hopeful new structural branches and internodes in check, then let new trunk run to appropriate taper..

just thoughts, dreaming and scheming perhaps
nice tree, beautiful foliage

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would not air layer it off since it has a pretty clean graft. I recently bought one from mr maple along with a couple other varieties just to air layer them off the original rootstock, I’m hoping I won’t loose too much time since they are only one gallon size trees. I think it’s worth it since they are only $35 trees.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would not see this as loosing time. It is just a step in the process. Enjoy & focus on the process and you are never delayed reaching the goal.
This is a good way to think about it. I did end up with two free 2 gal shishigashiras out of the deal so I’m already thinking positive about that.😂

Top Bottom