Should I buy this shimpaku?

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I’m at the nursery right now, far from home. I just sold some electronics junk, so free $100 in my pocket.
this lil guy is about 12” tall
$180

Attachments

• 5FABF03B-1604-46F6-9BB1-D4334FF942C9.jpeg
    5FABF03B-1604-46F6-9BB1-D4334FF942C9.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 271
  • CFC5B84A-84CC-4D89-90B7-4DE78AB0E026.jpeg
    CFC5B84A-84CC-4D89-90B7-4DE78AB0E026.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 256

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well....I think $180 is to much.
save your money for now.
overall, should you buy it, it has potential, especially with those low branches appearing.
a lot of work remaining for a 180 tag though.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s a little high, but the trunk has interesting movement, some taper, and you can develop branches pretty quick. If you like the trunk movement, it could be a good bonsai in several years. I’d like it better for $100.😜

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it’s got potential. It will take some work, but what the hey. I’ve seen far worse get double that price of FB in the past months.
Have fun
DSD sends

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Why does 180 seem high price ?
Thats about 130 quid I would say its definitely worth that.
Its only pocket money for a tree that with some work would make a nice tree In The not to distant future

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
But it’s not my money, something is only worth what ones is willing to pay for it.

It’s a personal choice

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Agree with the others. I think the tree has good potential, but I have to imagine $180 could go a lot further for getting trees around Portland.

Bonsai72

Seedling
Reaction score
No! Find something better for $180. Tree shopping is fun though. Good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I brought him home. It was too easy. I got $100 for a box of broken guitar pedals. And I just sold another guitar pedal, that I got for free, for $50 above new retail because it’s an older version. I haven’t seen any trees i liked from local hobbyists or shops, in fact much more inflated costs. I also got them to come down on the price $20. Last repot suspected 2 years ago. Unfortunately the owner of the nursery , Mr Tsugawa, passed away recently. I wonder if he worked on this tree?
RIP

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
brought him home.

Yeah, that was an $80 tree from the beginning!

It might not look like much now, but three of those branches airlayered will each look like what I paid $75 for in a couple years, so then it's a -$70 tree.
Few $5 cuttings a year, and next thing you know it has its own credit card!

Thank God for Guitar Pedals!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I brought him home. It was too easy. I got $100 for a box of broken guitar pedals. And I just sold another guitar pedal, that I got for free, for $50 above new retail because it’s an older version. I haven’t seen any trees i liked from local hobbyists or shops, in fact much more inflated costs. I also got them to come down on the price $20. Last repot suspected 2 years ago. Unfortunately the owner of the nursery , Mr Tsugawa, passed away recently. I wonder if he worked on this tree?
RIP
No need to rationalize buying it. You liked it, you bought it. I haven't bought any new clothes in a year, so I figure I deserve LOTS of new trees! ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah, that was an $80 tree from the beginning!
It might not look like much now, but three of those branches airlayered will each look like what I paid $75 for in a couple years, so then it's a -$70 tree.

Thank God for Guitar Pedals!

Sorce
That’s actually a really good idea. I was just going to jin them and toss the leftovers.
Of course if I’m going to attempt my first airlayer, first I need to go buy some ham 😜

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is funny reasoning. With that, each packet of seed is worth hundreds of dollars, as in a couple of years they will be what people pay 50 buck for.

I am surprised that in Portland such fairly basic junipers fetch such a high price.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like it. You could have done much worse for $180.
Keep us posted on it's progress.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No.

In Portland you can do much better... for much less.

[EDIT] Oops so now I see you bought it. I have bought trees for $450 that I killed, so $180 for a tree that has good bones isn't bad. In Portland I would say that was an $80 tree. However... it's got some cool stuff going on at the surface and a personality I like. Now your challenge is to get it out of that craptastic soil, at which point the health will be turbo-charged and you can start do develop some refinement to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom