Should I chop a Ficus Kiki?

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a ficus kiki and it is about 1.5 feet tall could I chop it down to about 6 or 7 inches. Will it back bud? Thanks in advance :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's actually a Benjamina, search here for many other threads about them. I don't like them as Bonsai personally for many reasons.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Kiki backbud relatively well, but I still wouldn't chop it down to a stump.

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok thanks, I guess I'll develop a plan b so I don't lose it.... what about chopping to a new leader lower down?

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
:( I can't get it to upload but I'll attempt to describe it better. It is more around 2 feet now that I'm looking at it and about ten inches up it is the branch I was thinking of going to and there are four or five under that and I would say it would end up with about 27 leaves if I did chop it there. Sorry I couldn't work the photos :( but it I think look better if I just airlayered it about 13 inches up instead do you think it would be better that way? About 4inches from there is where it mostly starts branching out. Again sorry about the lack of photos :(

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As long as you are leaving some green it should be fine.. I would however wait until early summer when it is outside an gas it's batteries charged.. Unless you have some good indoor grow lights going.

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok thank all of you for your input and patients, and I will wait till it's been outside in the sun for a while thanks again :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have chopped one twice this year. Both times it has sprouted new growth. Mind you I don't care if this tree lives or dies. It's my first ficus and I'm experimenting on it.

Top Bottom