Should I collect this pitch pine ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m in New Jersey and when I started bonsai I really wanted to collect trees . However everywhere I go I can’t find any good pitch pines . I only went out for an hour today just for the fun of it and I found this tree ! Hopefully the video uploads but if not then hopefully the pictures show it well . There is a lot in the way but it has some good movement .263EB177-2A07-46E0-A3B1-5C6E09BEDF2F.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A739AEC-5E7D-49A9-9B20-32FBA5FDCDF7.jpeg
    7A739AEC-5E7D-49A9-9B20-32FBA5FDCDF7.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 62
  • D8C9B57A-8E80-420F-9DE3-4342C5F3B820.jpeg
    D8C9B57A-8E80-420F-9DE3-4342C5F3B820.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 63

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The problem with collecting pitch pines of any size is they send out very long roots when they are growing in sand. This makes it very hard to collect them without killing them. It's the reason I collect 1 year old seedlings when I do collect them and grow them out.

If you want to try, it will be a couple year project. Leave it until next spring. Then in March or April, take a shovel and trench around the whole tree about a foot away. Hopefully this will prompt the tree to make new roots closer to the trunk. In spring 2024, you can try to collect it.

Of course make sure you have permission to collect it.

I feel your pain though. Most everything around here grows very straight and uninteresting. We just don't have the environment that promotes curvy trunks

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
The problem with collecting pitch pines of any size is they send out very long roots when they are growing in sand. This makes it very hard to collect them without killing them. It's the reason I collect 1 year old seedlings when I do collect them and grow them out.

If you want to try, it will be a couple year project. Leave it until next spring. Then in March or April, take a shovel and trench around the whole tree about a foot away. Hopefully this will prompt the tree to make new roots closer to the trunk. In spring 2024, you can try to collect it.

Of course make sure you have permission to collect it.

I feel your pain though. Most everything around here grows very straight and uninteresting. We just don't have the environment that promotes curvy trunks
I have heard of this method . Should I remove the growth on top that I definitely don’t want to save a year ?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have heard of this method . Should I remove the growth on top that I definitely don’t want to save a year ?
No I'd just leave it and let that growth help fuel roots

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d pass , it’s growing in sand number 1 , number 2, you need age
The OP is around 15 years old, he has time on his side.

I agree the sand could be a problem if it's sent out long roots.

While I wouldn't try to collect it myself, trying to find an old yamadori in NJ with a curvy trunk will be very hard. We just don't have the mountains here that produce those old awesome trees (Maybe in western NJ?).

Also if he is really set on collecting trees, he has got to start somewhere. Better to start that learning curve on something like this than a really nice old yamadori as long as he has the land owner's permission.

However honestly I think that this tree has a chance to turn into something nice. It's not a bad tree.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Most of the trees I collect were in sand and when I put them in pumice they all adapt
Go for it then. Shoot I’m not the pitch pine authority here lol , but I’d explore that whole area first and really see , look for low curve interest in trunk.

Top Bottom