Should I defoliate my oak?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very few leaves have fallen so far.
30 nights and 60 days.
The leaves appear to still be functional although who knows how effectively?
I'm considering clipping at the petioles but maybe it's still working.

What think?
Cut or wait?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can I ask why would you want to defoliate? For what purpose/gain??

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Will do. I was just wondering why it isn't acting like the big ones.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as present will continue to feed roots/build strength;).

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think it's robur but it's from a nursery starter so not sure.
??

I have an oak in the yard I'm also not sure of but you can't even RIP the brown leaves off until spring. It's so green that it looks like Japanese maple in summer.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did some clipping on a young quercus robur this summer, and it responded with foliage twice the size. Yes, bigger than ever before.
They're notoriously late with dropping their leaves (if they do it at all before next spring).

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let nature do its thing is my sugestion :)
I got three small oaks in the ground one keeps the brown foliage on till budbreak zbd the other two drop them
One of three also still got leaves on green starting to yellow a little bit now

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I did some clipping on a young quercus robur this summer, and it responded with foliage twice the size. Yes, bigger than ever before.
They're notoriously late with dropping their leaves (if they do it at all before next spring).
My summer clip reduced the size. Mostly. Sure made it hardy.
This tree is a real grower. From 2" to 13" in a year and a half.
oak.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

yes this is quite normal. they will reduce in size through defoliation though and im told, removing the large bud in spring before bud break, will produce smaller leaves and tight ramification closer to the trunk. this should be done every season. (not the defoliation. removing the large bud)

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My summer clip reduced the size. Mostly. Sure made it hardy.
This tree is a real grower. From 2" to 13" in a year and a half.
View attachment 219792
Looks like you've got a nice start. I've got some Q. robur seedlings I'm working on as well. Mine still have all their leaves, although they are brown. What are you using for soil and fertilizer? When do you repot/do root work for this tree?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like you've got a nice start. I've got some Q. robur seedlings I'm working on as well. Mine still have all their leaves, although they are brown. What are you using for soil and fertilizer? When do you repot/do root work for this tree?
It's very young. This year was the first repot from the 3 inch starter can. I had it in a deeper but much same surface area pot to give it room.
I got about 4 to 5 feet of roots off. o_O
Present pot gave shallower but wider spread room. This year, I'll compact the pot size but add some depth. And raise the root level to partially expose the tops of the roots to air.
I'm using an organic fert that I get from my Wed. bonsai workshop. It's black but that's all I know about it. When I'm using Miracle Grow on anything, I splash the leaves with it. Some runs into the soil.

Attachments

• oak roots.jpg
    oak roots.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom