Should I dig it up and pot it?

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I would also add that the kinds of questions you are asking are indicative of someone very early in the practice/love of bonsai... I get the urge/itch/desire to dig something up and get cracking away, because I’ve been there... heck, I still have to leash myself from responding to ads on Craigslist for free digging of marginal material each spring!!! Nursery stock is more forgiving, can be fun, and much less expensive than buying something marked ‘pre-bonsai’ online or at a bonsai nursery (that’s even considering you have one near you)... digging these trees can lead to dejection and loss of love for the work of bonsai... read and learn ... choose your sources wisely, because I think there are a lot of dodgy instruction and information out on the internet! (Possibly even me!!!)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce ...you only pointed out the first sentence. When I pointed out a lot more. The first sentence in my opinion was agreeing with you to a degree, yet addressing poster. Since you said fall...so poster seen many agreed timing was off for collection was now. I just don't see any value in the tree. I can't wrap my mind on one waisting time on something when they can find better and be more proud of their material. Which has always been my stance. I tend to think beginning sentences for newbies are important if they tire of reading...they caught an important thing right off the bat.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
From where I sit, the idea of knowingly undertaking a dig most likely to result in a dead tree for the sake of "learning something" is completely ridiculous. To make matters worse, the trees in question aren't worth it in the first place. Poor timing alone should be enough to make anyone put the shovel down but these two trees just aren't promising enough to justify the effort time involved to collect and nurse back to a level of health to allow any styling, which can be measured in years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.you only pointed out the first sentence

Forgive me...

I'm not trying to "do that"..
Or be rude...

I think there's a thread on it somewhere but I cant find it now.....

"Where is your first tree?"

How about a show of hands as to who still has theirs....and maybe some pics to see of it is any good....

I just don't see why life matters.

I mean...yes...go for it...try to let it live....

But it doesn't really matter at all.

Put on your Newb thinking caps!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce do I still have my first tree? If your asking ...well mine would be a pathetic juniper with glued rocks...wintered with poor direction. Once froze you don't water them. I am not sure I rescued it before it died...and killed it with winter. Or...bought it dead and it just lost color. But...my first bonsai would be mallsai with glued rocks. Like many before me...and those after.

Not the first I killed...tried to keep a tree in the house when it was a temperate tree over winter. Treated it as a tropical...it declined and died. Lesson learned: Some zoned trees for your area... one has a higher success rate with.

I have also lost trees from my regulator on my propane tank...faulty allowing moisture into the tanks. During Arctic cold temps...I lost most my tropicals. They sulked...we fixed the furnace...the temps warmed and the regulator went unnoticed until the second round which was not long enough of a distance to allow tropicals to recover. Only my mature bougainvillea survived.
Lesson learned: Life throws curve balls. Tropicals aren't my thing.

I learned how to winter trees thanks to Judy...and the artic spell...didn't lose a one outside in my cold greenhouse. We all grow on our journey...but I think most have killed trees.

Lost one to V. Wilt...one to a water mold fungus...I can't say I have repotted out of season though. Nor collected yard items out of season. (Two still in pots the weeping ryusen and the tamarix) .

May have lost one to a bird...it built a nest in my juniper...knocking over my shimpaku. Wired in to the pot the substrate fell out...setting in the hot sun for a good day. It's yellowing a lovely fall color. (My favorite trees...are wired down now if small enough for a fat mourning dove to knock over. Lessons learned.)

We lose trees...if we learn a lesson then we have grown. But stacking a deck against oneself no one wants...even you. Not sure why the comment on first tree? But...I learned a lesson from it. KNOW FOR SURE THE ONE OFFERING ADVICE UNDERSTANDS THE CONCEPT OF WHAT YOU ARE ASKING. Wait to see if more than one is in agreement or against it. If no one comments...look into the past posts and trees of the one offering advice. Early on...I did receive poor direction...most likely by ones who read things and didn't know first hand.

Well, seems I fell down a rabbit hole...anyone willing to give a gal A hand and pull her up out of it? Lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thank you everyone. If nothing else you all made me laugh a little. Crizzi is a nickname by young children who can’t pronounce Christie. Lol it does not mean graft master but anointed one. And it’s Greek not Latin. LMAO
So I’ll stick to trees that grow well in my area and purchase nursery stock preferably.
If I get a chance to root a deciduous cutting I will try it as I have nothing to lose but time in doing so. I’m eager to have trees that I can learn from. I still prefer those lessons to be small as a dying tree will surely come soon enough.
I’m no stranger to growing plants but trees are a different matter. I’ve lost a handful of those in my day. But for the most part careful real search and care have prevented me from having many losses.
I’ve had saltwater aquariums, bred parrots like cokatoos and macaws and delivered babies too.
I’ve lost a few of all of those. Whenever you deal with living things they die sometimes. But you stack the deck in your favor.
That’s what I’m doing. Reading and watching videos. Asking questions before I go crazy and just dig etc...,
I prefer trees with swooping or thick trunks. The S curve does not appeal to me much. So nursery stock is most likely my best bet.
I appreciate the time and attention from all of you.

Is this the wrong season for pines to be purchased as well? What about Junipers?
Any really hardy deciduous that can handle winter in a pot in zone 5?
I would like to be prepared to purchase before I see something I think I have to have!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A wise member (Judy) told me to understand a tree in a pot loses a zone. So if it's cold hardy to zone 5...then calculate zone 6.

You need to decide winter protection. That also will go a long way. Many mulch their trees in...some use cold frames, garage...I have a gazebo that is enclosed...with a farm thermostat so I keep a more controlled area for mine. Set at 30F during winter. I can't offer a species wintering outside...Its not something I am familiar with.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thank you. That was a bit more clear to me than the generalized “needs to be winter protected” information I’ve been finding.
I have a garage that’s attached and a covered porch. Mulching in is a good option but I’ve also seen it get -20F here north of Cincinnati too. That would make me nervous to have my trees out in those temperatures.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's good! Now, remember warm hot winter days...you may need to open a door or window. A thermometer reading with an alarm set for a warmer temp when it reaches it to alert you is also good to have. The past two winters my windows and doors were open more than most years.
Once you get one winter under your belt it's a good feeling. Having a garage is a perk!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’ll definitely check out the thermometer with built in alarm.
I still need some more trees to protect other than my minuscule baby elm and my indoor ficus I’ve had for many years already. CEE36986-BBC8-455B-807F-12B4C105E679.jpeg
That’s the baby Chinese elm Hokkaido sitting on my stove smiling for it’s first pics. It’s that tiny!! Lol
I’m thinking indoors w a grow light in an aquarium for humidity this first winter for it. Still have more research to do I’d like it to have a dormancy but it’s quite young still too.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From where I sit, the idea of knowingly undertaking a dig most likely to result in a dead tree for the sake of "learning something" is completely ridiculous. To make matters worse, the trees in question aren't worth it in the first place. Poor timing alone should be enough to make anyone put the shovel down but these two trees just aren't promising enough to justify the effort time involved to collect and nurse back to a level of health to allow any styling, which can be measured in years.
This is exactly what I was getting at.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ll definitely check out the thermometer with built in alarm.
I still need some more trees to protect other than my minuscule baby elm and my indoor ficus I’ve had for many years already. View attachment 193421
That’s the baby Chinese elm Hokkaido sitting on my stove smiling for it’s first pics. It’s that tiny!! Lol
I’m thinking indoors w a grow light in an aquarium for humidity this first winter for it. Still have more research to do I’d like it to have a dormancy but it’s quite young still too.
Cold hardy to zone 5...you'll be offering protection in the garage. To not allow dormancy weakens a tree that needs a dormant period. Be aware of that...

As for the ficus...I have a tropical hibiscus for 17 years. Stuck it outside once after doing bonsai and had a tornado toss it across our deck. We were spared structural damage. Neighbors were not so fortunate. Now...It stays indoors in my sunroom year round as it had years before. It's my husband's tree. It's a potted tree...not bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I like Mugo pines a lot.
I've been known to dig a tree on occasion.
I myself would not waste my time on this tree.
No matter what season.

I thought the base looked kinda cool and the twists in the front, I thought would look great as jin. Lol
But I’ve moved on in my mind at least. So I’ll start looking for trees this summer while the selection at nurseries is high. I’m thinking of a couple of pines end of fall though.
So now I’m in search of species. Seems like Junipers are mostly inexpensive and would give me nice practice too.
I really like some of deciduous species but I need to do a lot more homework before I choose a species. I already have my baby elm. Lol
It’s cute. But I’m just practicing water and fertilizer for now and waiting until at least end of summer to trim it. At least for now.
I’m not interested in the easiest of trees. The indoor type don’t seem like they would give me much experience or excitement over my house plants. Besides I have a ten year old ficus ginseng that’s been treated like a houseplant until now already.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems like Junipers are mostly inexpensive and would give me nice practice too.
They're good trees to learn.
It's good to try different species to see what works best for you.
Some people focus mainly on deciduous trees. Some on pines. But most have some of both.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They're good trees to learn.
It's good to try different species to see what works best for you.
Some people focus mainly on deciduous trees. Some on pines. But most have some of both.
And then there are those odd people that like tropical/sub-tropical trees that have flowers;)

Top Bottom