Should I dig up my boxwood?

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have a rather large boxwood in my front yard next to my house. The trunk is probably 3-4" in diameter and has some interesting characteristics, I will try and post a picture when I get home. It is doing me nothing just sitting there, so I figured I would dig it up.

Anyway, should I dig it now, or should I cut it back and leave it in the ground? Any other suggestions on this plan? Or, should I just not dig it at all haha.

Thanks

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a rather large boxwood in my front yard next to my house. The trunk is probably 3-4" in diameter and has some interesting characteristics, I will try and post a picture when I get home. It is doing me nothing just sitting there, so I figured I would dig it up.

Anyway, should I dig it now, or should I cut it back and leave it in the ground? Any other suggestions on this plan? Or, should I just not dig it at all haha.

Thanks
Need pics!
I'd cut back slowly over a couple years and do some "in ground root pruning" too.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
agree with @just.wing.it Definitely start the work with it in the ground.

I would chop that baby down first, take the chopped part have a bonfire and beer and think about what I did.

A few weeks later I would dig around, do some root pruning, fill in with better soil and then when the time is right relocate it to a pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Balls!

I'd be careful.

And only take advice from someone who has successfully collected a few that old.

I been looking at little $9 1gl boxes all day!

Yours is wicked!

Sorce

readc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Balls!

I'd be careful.

And only take advice from someone who has successfully collected a few that old.

I been looking at little $9 1gl boxes all day!

Yours is wicked!

Sorce
Ha! Wish I could get Walter P to come advise me on this beast!

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Cut it back, let it recover until next year or until the summer? What kind of timeline are we talkin about?
I'm no expert, but the one boxwood I had died when I cut it back. Because of that, I think it has a better chance of survival if left in the ground.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's where I get confused.

Cuz they say take the top and bottom off at the same time.......

But yard shrubs get pruned regularly.

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've got a small boxwood I'm working on right now. trunk is 1.5 inches about so way smaller than this one.

When I took it out of the ground, I pruned half the roots and half the leaves. The tree wilted hard! for days.....I kept it in total shade for a week or so before it got back to normal but it made....barely. I defoliated it.

Now that it is in the pot its been a month and it still can't take full sun yet. It is sprouting a lot of new leaves though and they are just too delicate after the torture I put it through.....

Now if you chop this down it would look like a stump with a few branches for a long long time.

If you do the chop, leave it in the ground! best shot at success.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I would leave it in the ground and cut it back to the last branches with leaves. I would leave more leaves then less too. Fertilize over summer and hope for a lot of back budding. If it doesn't back bud, at least I would have some branches to work with. Then leave it in the ground until I have something worth digging up, if I have the time.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You guys are overthinking this. When you dig it out of the ground you essentially are repotting it and have just removed a lot of roots. You will need to create balance by removing foliage. How much? It's a guessing game. However, in my case, based on how much of the root ball I kept I removed about half the foliage. I collected four like this one and they are all doing fine 4 years later. All these images are from when I collected it. My son has the tree now and it's doing fine.

Boxwood 1.jpg

Boxwood 2.jpg

Boxwood 3.jpg

Boxwood 4.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I may add, do not, I repeat do not remove any of the foliage down low. Save it for when you get it to the height you want once it's in a pot. Boxwood never seem to back bud where you want them to. One of the four I have is going to require grafting to get any foliage down low. I'm just waiting for some of the surrounding new branches to get a little longer before I do some approach grafting.

Top Bottom