Should I ditch my elm?

Anonymouse

Sapling
Reaction score
Today I was looking through all of my trees when I came across an elm. I did it a while back when I first started bonsai. Should I rid of it or is it OK...16012444503513717053873275176297.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pressure is on.
I think you have a Point.
Possibly could make it through winter but it's not Probable.
Paint it.
Probe the soil?
2 leaves makes me Panic.
Path?
Don't have an accent plant called enis.

Sorce

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Is it fused to itself?

horticulturally speaking it’s quite interesting. I’d keep it as an oddity. otherwise I’ll take it off your hande

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks wet on the trunk, should you remove that moss? That looks like beginnings of rot

B

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it's certainly one of a kind. It's not bonsai by any stretch, if you're looking for general approval here or at a bonsai show you'll probably never get it. BUT it's kind of neat IMO, and 2nd "BUT", who cares about my opinion. If you like it, keep it, but call it penjing haha. If you're interested in the strict and disciplined art of bonsai then I don't think this tree has much business being on your bench

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
from fuku penjing in hawaii ..

PENJING RULE #1: "SMILE!" Penjing is an art and a hobby to be enjoyed. When you smile, your mind opens up, you create, and you enjoy!

PENJING RULE #2: "DON'T LET ANYONE MAKE UP ANY MORE RULES!"
But this one surely is not a penjing?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Clicio I would love to ask why, but that would send this thread in a completely different direction haha. Happy to share some resources through Private messages though

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
But this one surely is not a penjing?

Depend which school, style, and province you are attempting... also the contents/elements used in it’s presentation.... I believe this would fall safely under awkward Penzai... No rock or water.

Although the bottom half of trees done in the “6-3-1” penjing style of the Changshu and Suzhuo Schools look similar to this.. But we almost NEVER see those “techniques” represented in “modern TinyTree culture”

(I would NOT get rid of it though)

Don't have an accent plant called enis.

I say, “do it”
🤣🤣🤣

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The original penjing trees were just grotesquely shapes plants the hermits collected for sake of being conversational pieces (from what I have been reading). And it seems to me that your tree has absolutely started a conversation with plenty of opinions and even someone telling you they’d like to take the tree off your hands for themselves. Again, it’s a personal choice, I’d challenge you to start making decisions for yourself about whether or not YOU like a tree. I wasted 5 years in this hobby not following my gut. It’s hard to unlearn and be reborn artistically after too much training in a certain direction

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it looks cool as hell. Much of my enjoyment from bonsai comes when I find myself wondering " how the hell is that growing in a pot that small?" and this definitely qualifies. Add to that the sentimental value and it's a no brainer to me.

Top Bottom