Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cornus Florida...
Airlayer job...
What do you think?
Anyone out there ever try before???
It's a yard tree at a friend's house...
Thinking of about a one inch thick branch.

May try cuttings as well...

Sorry, no pics.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have read on here, that dogwood are a short lifespan tree. So...if you factor that into it. Understand from what I looked into with my own short lifespaned sentimental tree in my yard. A cutting isn't restarting the stop watch over again...but starting at the age it is.

If that doesn't bother you...then...if your after a project...go for it!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have read on here, that dogwood are a short lifespan tree.
That means it will probably die in @just.wing.it's grandchildrens' hands (maybe great grandchildren;s) - 80 years-ish if not slayed by some kind of 'accident'. I've had a few such very short lifetime trees :(.
Cornus Florida...
Airlayer job...
What do you think?
Anyone out there ever try before???
I know of none before.
Why don't you dare to do what none will admit to having done before? :p
I'm sure it will be fun!
Just do it (I am afraid that I would have to make an attribution to Nike if I said that)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have read on here, that dogwood are a short lifespan tree. So...if you factor that into it. Understand from what I looked into with my own short lifespaned sentimental tree in my yard. A cutting isn't restarting the stop watch over again...but starting at the age it is.

If that doesn't bother you...then...if your after a project...go for it!
That's interesting to note!!
I have always love the bark on them, and of course the flowers and fall color...
Plus I'm looking for more native ideas...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That means it will probably die in @just.wing.it's grandchildrens' hands (maybe great grandchildren;s) - 80 years-ish if not slayed by some kind of 'accident'. I've had a few such very short lifetime trees :(.

I know of none before.
I'm sure it will be fun!
Just do it (I am afraid that I would have to make an attribution to Nike if I said that)
Never looked the age up...just assumed as short lived as my tree. FAR FROM IT! Just looked it up after reading your words. Not bad...like you say...not in his life time most likely...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That means it will probably die in @just.wing.it's grandchildrens' hands (maybe great grandchildren;s) - 80 years-ish if not slayed by some kind of 'accident'. I've had a few very short lifetime trees :(.

I know of none before.
I'm sure it will be fun!
I will have a go...
I was hoping that someone would say, "yeah, they take to air layering well, go for a 3 inch branch!"...
Wishful thinking, lol!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will have a go...
I was hoping that someone would say, "yeah, they take to air layering well, go for a 3 inch branch!"...
Wishful thinking, lol!
Yeah, they take to air layering well, go for a 3 inch branch!

Glad to oblige :p

I'll confess later.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's interesting to note!!
I have always love the bark on them, and of course the flowers and fall color...
Plus I'm looking for more native ideas...
Yes, I have a few on our wooded lots. I politely spoke with the ones who trim under the power lines...that I would pay for an arborist...than their trim the tree. Which they agreed. Love dogwoods.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes, I have a few on our wooded lots. I politely spoke with the ones who trim under the lines...that I would pay for an arborist...than their trim the tree. Which they agreed. Love dogwoods.
They are great little trees, I also like thet they're understory trees.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will have a go...
Wishful thinking, lol!

When new at Bonsai in 60s got gound layered branch at cousins house off of native Dogwood. Believe should layer fairly well. Not so sure about big branch;). Mine was maybe 1/4".

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for this post, @just.wing.it, I was also wondering about how dogwoods do with airlayering. There is a branch on our dogwood that makes mowing the grass difficult. Sounds like an opportunity to me!

:)

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had very poor results layering dogwood (2-3 year attempts).
Agreed, they have great bark and are great trees. Let us know what process you are using, in case it works.
CW

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had very poor results layering dogwood (2-3 year attempts).
Agreed, they have great bark and are great trees. Let us know what process you are using, in case it works.
CW
I am thinking of trying Perlite and chopped sphagnum in a split plastic pot, wrapped in plastic.
But I will update.

Top Bottom