Should I? (Ficus advice)

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you make the trunk chop then leave the side branch until you get more leaves on the tree.
It’s an insurance policy.
Listen to the woman specially if it is a benjamina... I lost at least 3 before I learn this about benjaminas

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There seems to be a tendency for people to recommend drastic cuts as a cure-all for bonsai. Not always justified IMHO.
This tree has a very thick right branch and the end of that branch also has a thickened knob so not very attractive. Best option to cure that will be to remove the entire branch and start again.

Main trunk has some really great bends down low but then quite straight above the branches. Bending may be an option and figs tend to be quite flexible for a long time so it may work. Bending is relatively quick but doesn't always give attractive movement. Pruning for movement takes a bit longer and is sometimes unpredictable but usually produces much better bends.
The lowest branch is in an ideal position to continue the curving trunkline. It has far better taper than the existing trunk at that spot but is also quite straight.

After assessment I believe that removing the thick right branch is desirable. There is a useful smaller branch just above it that would probably fill that side quite well if the trunk is left intact. Some more bends in the trunk would be desirable but not essential. This will be a far quicker road to a bonsai.
Removing the trunk to the first branch will probably give a better tree but will take a number of years to regrow branches and canopy. First branch is still quite straight. If it becomes the main trunk I would recommend cutting slightly lower or cut back again to a well positioned new shoot after they sprout. Wiring some movement into that branch should still be possible as an alternative approach depending on how many new shoots you get.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it were me I would cut the branch up high because it's too thick to be that high on the trunk, cut the top back a bit (and the first branch) then regrow the branching from there. It would be a slightly taller tree than going with the cuts you've marked, SniffingKrylon, but I think it would be easier to keep in decent proportion with the size of the microcarpa leaves.

Or you could also just cut all the branches off and start over, styling the new growth at downward angles in more of a pine tree shape.

Attachments

• C482C17E-6E56-422E-8B15-057721300AF4.jpg
    C482C17E-6E56-422E-8B15-057721300AF4.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
After assessment I believe that removing the thick right branch is desirable. There is a useful smaller branch just above it that would probably fill that side quite well if the trunk is left intact. Some more bends in the trunk would be desirable but not essential. This will be a far quicker road to a bonsai.
Removing the trunk to the first branch will probably give a better tree but will take a number of years to regrow branches and canopy. First branch is still quite straight. If it becomes the main trunk I would recommend cutting slightly lower or cut back again to a well positioned new shoot after they sprout. Wiring some movement into that branch should still be possible as an alternative approach depending on how many new shoots you get.

I keep looking at it and think I could possible bend the trunk by cutting into it where that bulge is from a cut branch and bending it down and keeping the slow curve up and let it grow out and coming back to see where it's at once it's all filled in. I might go with that, it would be a good learning experience, I think, plus it would help me keep everything more proportional to leaf size like @KennedyMarx brought up. Where I was planning on cutting would make this a very short tree. Worst case scenario, I lose that part of the trunk and end up cutting it back to where I was planning on cutting in the first place but if it works it would save me some time. Lol Thanks for the input.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This front has more interest. The problems are: The first branch needs to be moved down, and the second branch is too heavy.

I’d remove that second branch entirely and pick a new bud to train from the resulting cut. Then spread out the branches and let it develop into a broad banyan-style canopy. It is a ficus, after all and you’re in South Florida.

Keep it outside and it should grow like a weed. Remember to let it grow wild and build up some strength after the work.
49F0F4A8-D18C-4775-8698-98F2DEAE5B8A.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do grow weedlike....

So much they make those clubs at the ends.

By far not a set and forget tree.

Until winter....I have hardly watered mine at all, in my (dormancy) place, cold floor and 4ft from bulbs.
It recently perked up to grow.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Tonight, social anxiety got the better of me and I didn’t go to, what would have been, my first bonsai society meet but I still worked on my tree so, that counts for something. Anyway, I did the big chop, I don’t know if I did it right but it’s done. I don’t think it looks too bad. It’s was a bit nerve racking, which I find kind of funny, it felt like I was going to cut off my finger or something. I still have all 9 fingers though! Wait.. Ah, yes, 10 fingers. Enough talk!

C61C6D06-C561-422A-A5F3-F0468DCFB6A3.jpeg

18219903-25A5-477D-B1D9-10E1E70EDA89.jpeg

02D8E42B-5B20-403E-9C13-6FE2ACCF96A3.jpeg

I think I’ll cut that branch about half way when it gets it’s strenth back, who knows. Also, I kept the 2 cuttings. I’ll cut them back when they grow roots, they might make for interesting tiny trees until I forget to water them one day. Lol

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ficus is versatile specie to work with. If you make any mistake, it could open the possibilites of new styles as well. They are aggressive grower. Just keep updating.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Ali Raza so you see a mistake? Haha I feel I should have taken a little more out of the cut, my theory was that the new trunk line will thicken and the scar will too creating nice taper but I might get inverse taper. I guess we’ll see what happens in a couple years.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Ali Raza so you see a mistake? Haha I feel I should have taken a little more out of the cut, my theory was that the new trunk line will thicken and the scar will too creating nice taper but I might get inverse taper. I guess we’ll see what happens in a couple years.
I didn't meant that. My point was that ficus could be styled almost any form unlike conifers (which are trained for many years before you could see it as bonsai). If you make any mistake with styling conifers, it could take years to cover it. But ficus opens more possibilities.

Top Bottom