Should I follow fertilizer instructions on the container for my Delonix Regia seedling?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi! I picked up some liquid bonsai pro fertilizer (7-9-5). Would you suggest I follow the instructions on fertilizer container to fertilize my delonix seedlings?

Also, because I’m told to measure the amount of fertilizer per gallon (per the instructions) should I make a mixture and set it aside and use it weekly/biweekly for the fertilizing schedule, or do I use the mixture every time my seedlings need water?

Pics of fertilizer and seedlings below.

Thank you!

Attachments

• A05AA06B-6D61-4ED9-817B-810ED11A4E2B.jpeg
    A05AA06B-6D61-4ED9-817B-810ED11A4E2B.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 24
  • A43B39BD-B168-4784-85BA-3D0156867FA7.jpeg
    A43B39BD-B168-4784-85BA-3D0156867FA7.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 34
  • D81C5F9D-A0AD-4E5C-AB5F-6EA7FA955FEE.jpeg
    D81C5F9D-A0AD-4E5C-AB5F-6EA7FA955FEE.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 08333F80-ACBC-4AD0-BB18-C1F1B288464B.jpeg
    08333F80-ACBC-4AD0-BB18-C1F1B288464B.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 30

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you look at your plant, you'll see those first two leaves. They're pretty fat and look different than the others. They contain enough nutrients for the first month, or maybe even a couple of months.
After those have dropped, you can start feeding at half a dose. Raise the dose when the plants start to look like they need it.
This general rule of thumb tends to lower the risk of killing your seedlings.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a fairly weak fertilizer to start with, and diluting it per instructions (1/4 teaspoon per gallon) is diluting it 1 to 3000. At that concentration, it will not be strong enough to harm your seedlings if used whenever you water. Far better to fertilize frequently, at low level, than infrequently at high strength.

As @Wires_Guy_wires pointed out, until your seedlings have used up the food reserves in their cotyledons (the structure of your seedling which looks like the first two "leaves" but which is actually functionally different from a true leaf) they will not need any fertilizer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a fairly weak fertilizer to start with, and diluting it per instructions (1/4 teaspoon per gallon) is diluting it 1 to 3000. At that concentration, it will not be strong enough to harm your seedlings if used whenever you water.

As @Wires_Guy_wires pointed out, until your seedlings have used up the food reserves in their cotyledons (the structure of your seedling which looks like the first two "leaves" but which is actually functionally different from a true leaf) they will not need any fertilizer.

Thank you!!! I just purchased a 6 year old Fukien tea and planned to use this same fertilizer. Should I use it as instructed or more like 1tbsp per gallon weekly? Also, should I just go ahead and make a premix to use when it’s time to fertilize. So basically separate from my main watering can when watering my Fukien tea?

Lastly, is there a better fertilizer that you would recommend in the future?

Thank you so much!!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a fairly weak fertilizer to start with, and diluting it per instructions (1/4 teaspoon per gallon) is diluting it 1 to 3000. At that concentration, it will not be strong enough to harm your seedlings if used whenever you water.

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you @BonsaiQueen for asking everything that i think of in my "ok next" part of my mind! So nice to have someone else to use as a measuring bonsai! I was planning on going this weekend to pick up fertilizer for em start getting on schedule..

What is best for smaller and seedlings fertilizers liquid or the granules? I would think liquid as it gets there quicker, can dilute easier ? Am i on correct thought path?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I reject working with gallons, so I closed my eyes for concentrations on purpose and ignored the label entirely.

I'm a big fan of pelletized/granulized nutrients. Especially since they give a visual representation of the amount of nutrients. Sure, there are fertometers (there really are and they work great!) but they need to be placed in the soil, disturbing roots. There's no knowing for sure if your plant has drained the soil from all the nutrients unless you measure it or the runoff (EC-sensors do very well for that, and they're pretty cheap too) or monitor the plant very closely. Don't get me wrong, I love data! I love collecting data! But I also love to not spend an hour on every watering and having to re-balance everything for every single plant.

With pelletized nutrients, that problem is resolved to some extent. One plant gets a little less, another a little more. And I can just water them all from the same canister in a single go. You can actually see the pellets degrade and after a few seasons you get a pretty good feel for balancing the stuff. This "feel" develops way faster than with liquid nutrients.

I do keep some liquid fertilizers around for general issue tackling. There are some formulas that work such great wonders due to their completeness, that they fix just about everything in two or three waterings. Thankfully I only have to resort to those 4 or 5 times a year.

It's a matter of personal preference, keep that in mind. Whatever works, works!

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
You can actually see the pellets degrade and after a few seasons you get a pretty good feel for balancing the stuff. This "feel" develops way faster than with liquid nutrients.

It's a matter of personal preference, keep that in mind. Whatever works, works!
Ahhhh never thought of that... seeing them degrade would help allot!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you @BonsaiQueen for asking everything that i think of in my "ok next" part of my mind! So nice to have someone else to use as a measuring bonsai! I was planning on going this weekend to pick up fertilizer for em start getting on schedule..

What is best for smaller and seedlings fertilizers liquid or the granules? I would think liquid as it gets there quicker, can dilute easier ? Am i on correct thought path?
You are very, welcome @Morax!! :)

Top Bottom