Should I get rid of single pine with needle cast to avoid infecting other trees?

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've read a few threads on needle cast. Thank you for the advice so far. One thing I'm still trying to understand better: have individuals been able to successfully cure trees of needle cast, or once a tree has needle cast, does it the needle cast stick around as a chronic disease? I've seen people talk about getting needle cast under control, but I haven't been able to determine if needle cast can be eradicated.

My situation: I have a landscape pine (Thunderhead variety of JBP). I have no intention of making this into a bonsai. It's not a great specimen nor is this variety very well suited to bonsai. This spring, the tree developed minor needle cast. It was just planted last year, and I think I stressed it too much by also pruning several branches (don't worry, I'm not this brutal to my bonsai!). I also didn't proactively treat with any fungicides last year. This tree is a mere six feet from my newly completed grow box, which I've filled with several pre-bonsai pines, none of which show signs of needle cast.

I've started treatment of the following on all my landscape and bonsai conifers:
1) Liquid copper (every two weeks, alternating with Daconil)
2) Daconil (every two weeks, alternating with liquid copper)
3) Clearys 3336 (one application in spring, another in summer)

My question for you...can I get needle cast eradicated in my landscape JBP and expect to successfully keep it from spreading to my grow box pines if I am diligent about my treatment plan above? Or, should I dig up the infected JBP and burn it?

Attachments

• 01_Grow bed.jpg
    01_Grow bed.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 02_JBP Needle cast.jpg
    02_JBP Needle cast.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 100

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Aw man I wish I could with authority say that you can eradicate it after several years of growing out
the cells of the tree, but I cannot. Did you read @AdairM 's thread on it? I have it in my log somewhere subbed
to the thread. I lost my 1st JBP to it 2 years ago I believe, and now nearly all of my 2 needle pines seem to have it.
Wind spreads the disease, so as with COVID19 assume all your pines have it, and good on ya for already
starting a preventative regimen. Hopefully Adair can answer this with authority. Seems like the tree exhibits less
obvious symptoms after several years of treatment and growing out, since we use systemic, but the forest will spread it forever
so never let your guard down.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I believe the effective treatment should get rid of the current infection. The problem is that it will come back as it first arrived - on the wind. Fungi are great at spreading through the air. Spores are so fine they travel hundreds, maybe thousands of miles so nothing is really completely safe.
Once these diseases arrive regular treatment or not growing any susceptible species is the only options.
When you have the current infection under control timely preventatives should keep it at bay.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've read a few threads on needle cast. Thank you for the advice so far. One thing I'm still trying to understand better: have individuals been able to successfully cure trees of needle cast, or once a tree has needle cast, does it the needle cast stick around as a chronic disease? I've seen people talk about getting needle cast under control, but I haven't been able to determine if needle cast can be eradicated.

My situation: I have a landscape pine (Thunderhead variety of JBP). I have no intention of making this into a bonsai. It's not a great specimen nor is this variety very well suited to bonsai. This spring, the tree developed minor needle cast. It was just planted last year, and I think I stressed it too much by also pruning several branches (don't worry, I'm not this brutal to my bonsai!). I also didn't proactively treat with any fungicides last year. This tree is a mere six feet from my newly completed grow box, which I've filled with several pre-bonsai pines, none of which show signs of needle cast.

I've started treatment of the following on all my landscape and bonsai conifers:

My question for you...can I get needle cast eradicated in my landscape JBP and expect to successfully keep it from spreading to my grow box pines if I am diligent about my treatment plan above? Or, should I dig up the infected JBP and burn it?

You do the right things. If certain trees seem prone to this problem be proactive. Treat in Fall as well. and Spring, and Summer;). Also treat any nearby tree in case. Have had, treated. OK today!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I treated it one year, and treated it well. Antibiotics in spring when the shoots started to elongate, copper in summer and fall.
Ever since the issue is minor; one to ten needles on every pine I have are affected.
That's so minor that I'm sticking with copper sulphate, micro-element solutions and a dash of fungi-munching fungi. It seems to be completely under control.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your current protocol should be effective. It’s like the others are saying, the spores are in the air, you should be proactive against needlecast whether or not you see any symptoms. It infects when needles are forming, but doesn’t show up until after they’re mature.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I believe the effective treatment should get rid of the current infection. The problem is that it will come back as it first arrived - on the wind. Fungi are great at spreading through the air. Spores are so fine they travel hundreds, maybe thousands of miles so nothing is really completely safe.
Once these diseases arrive regular treatment or not growing any susceptible species is the only options.
When you have the current infection under control timely preventatives should keep it at bay.
does application of liquid copper kill desired lichen on the bark?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_4245.JPG
Nope.
I use Phyton27 pretty strong Cu >21%
EDIT: I soak the needles, trunk and branches when I spray.
This BP has the worst case of needle cast in my pines.
I'm going to allow the shoots to harden off before I begin cutting shoots and needles out that are dead or diseased
even though the Cu is systemic. I'm going on a self made myth that would be best at this date.
Also rotate Daconil just last night.

1588194059660.png

Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Liquid copper does not kill fungus, but prevents it from reproducing. How that might affect lichen in the long term, I do not know.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

YES ABSOLUTELY! I know needle cast is such a pain on the ass until you figure it out, I can attest. SO listen to me now, and believe me later: do not remove needles nor remove infected growth to fix the problem this does not work. Needlecast is ultimately a result of poor overall tree health, poor watering and weak Roots, or limited needle foliage and or all of the above. The needle cast infected the new emerging candles/needles in the spring far before it becomes noticeable on the tree so try to stop it once you see it is useless it's already there. Removing infected needles is the worst thing you can do because in many cases a good portion of those needles are still photosynthesizing and supplying the tree's roots with sugars and starches needed to increase growth. Fix your horticultural practices ie watering--balance of water and oxygen--and your soil next year and allow the tree to increase needle mass this year and there's a very good chance you won't have a needle cast problem next year if you follow this.abd over time you'll find that w good practice you won't even need to use fungicide prophylactics such as daconil to control your needlecast.

Top Bottom