Should I get this for $80 (altogether with shipping)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One aspect that has not been mentioned is the cost of shipping and distance involved in the particular transaction. Shipping is much more expensive in Canada than in the USA. Also the individual has not clarified their location and if cross border expenses are incurred in the shipping estimate.
An important aspect is the ability to acquire material that is not readily available by any other means. This adds to the value in my opinion. One of the reasons why I tried hard to procure hard to find cultivars ing my travels and focussed my nursery on items not readily available to Bonsai enthusiasts. This can involve a lot of initial expense to even get starter plants.
For example the cost of decent sized Chojubai, Prunus Mume, Chinese Elm cultivars and so on. That and the aspect of propagation is usually a bit more complicated for some of the hard to acquire species.
Just my way of explaining other factors at play in the situation.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you buying one plant for $80 ($62) or three?
Each individual plant is $47 Cdn. The pricing is pretty clear on the website. The confusion is stemming from the way the OP asked the question.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know where you live, but where I live $20 is the price of a burger and fries that disappears in 5 minutes and that I buy as a totally unnecessary expense.
Based on your location I'm surprised it doesn't cost $40 for a burger, fries, and a coke.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure what all the concern is given that the item is not available and it clearly states that on the website. The poster must have been aware of that.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure what all the concern is given that the item is not available and it clearly states that on the website. The poster must have been aware of that.
They were still available when the OP first asked the question. But, just like in the previous releases, you can’t dither too long on whether or not you want to buy it. The trees go pretty quick. Which I would think would also suggest they weren’t overpriced. 😊

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
$47 Canadian dollars exchanges to $36 US dollars. As a grower myself there's not enough value in the plant pictured to warrant $36 USD. $20 USD is a more reasonable sale price for me.

I agree $36 US is very pricy for one imo

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This has never been shown to be a true indicator of value.
Fair enough. But then a few people grumping about something being overpriced isn’t necessarily a true indicator of value either. We all have our opinions. In the end, something is worth what someone will pay for it.

One other thing to keep in mind. Maybe it is overpriced where you are. But come up here and try and find those species or cultivars. Then have a look at what it takes to import a plant to Canada, if you can find a seller willing to do the paperwork. Suddenly, the price you’re fussing over might seem more reasonable.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So not good value for you, but reasonably priced enough that it sold out in less than two days. Again, we all have our opinions. I didn’t buy any of that particular tree, but I did pick up a few of the others. I’m looking forward to getting them and seeing what I can make of them.

Reminds me of the inevitable back and forth that happens each year when Mirai has their annual tree sale. 😊

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yeah, not a horrible or outrageous price, but I’m just a stingy bastard.
Just picked up this WOWZA dwarf cherry 2.5 gal for 40$ us. 🤣
A better deal? IDK. F8299555-F9AB-4FE0-B3E3-C4A25B8E0DE6.jpeg

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome Aboard to Bonsai Nut!

If it’s asking if paying $15.00 each and shipping for a really tough Cherry cultivar to learn on is the question, I’d say sure… depending on where you plan to grow the trees.

Please double click your icon and enter your approximate location and USDA plant growing zone so we aren’t trying to answer your question in the blind.

cheers
DSD sends
Sounds good, will do later!

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
P
Yeah, not a horrible or outrageous price, but I’m just a stingy bastard.
Just picked up this WOWZA dwarf cherry 2.5 gal for 40$ us. 🤣
A better deal? IDK. View attachment 435120
Pretty cool, being from Vancouver Canada I'm always really interested in the cherry blossoms that we have here, I wanted to try my best to bonsai, but it's really hard to find any of them that aren't in landscaping size here.

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not when one can get them out your back door eh?

Yet Brent is selling cultivars for about the same…. https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/prunus.htm

Cheers
DSD sends
So not good value for you, but reasonably priced enough that it sold out in less than two days. Again, we all have our opinions. I didn’t buy any of that particular tree, but I did pick up a few of the others. I’m looking forward to getting them and seeing what I can make of them.

Reminds me of the inevitable back and forth that happens each year when Mirai has their annual tree sale. 😊
yeah, I really like his stuff, and I really like the people inside that he's selling, but given that I am a high school student about to go to university, I don't really have that sort of money to spend like that, especially if my parents see me spending that sort of money on a tree. I was definitely looking forwards to getting one though. I really like cherry trees because it reminds me of Vancouver - where i grew up in that's completely covered with cherry blossoms around this time, hopefully i can find something soon to make a bonsai out of, it's been difficult online though as most nurseries only have landscaping size trees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom