Should I go dig this free maple?

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
I was offered this tree, but I have to go get it tomorrow if I want it. They said they already got it started, as you can see in the first photo. I don't know if this is a good species for bonsai. Thought I would ask for advice before doing something stupid again. Thank you!

Attachments

• 00404_2iLOShB9S1D_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00404_2iLOShB9S1D_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 00f0f_c4HCbrLN01d_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_c4HCbrLN01d_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 193

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Japanese maples including dissectum varieties transplant quite easily.
Not particularly good for bonsai in my opinion. - tend to have longer internodes so ramification will be coarse, also prone to dieback of branches.
Whether this one will be worth while will depend on the trunk and branches and what you expect from bonsai. Looks like just a couple of really thick trunks with little taper. Branches are probably all near the top? Again, depends what you want your bonsai to look like. Trees that look great in a photo inevitably look far worse when seen in person. Trees that look great before digging are nowhere near as attractive once you get it out of the ground. After potting they are even uglier. After a couple of weeks you will wonder why you ever bothered and start planning to get rid of it.
Size: Looks big! Consider: What sized pot will it fit in? How will you manage it in future - rotating the tree every week or 2 to get even light on all sides; repotting every few years; where will it fit in your garden?
Be warned, trees seem to expand when dug. A reasonably sized tree usually turns out to be about half as big again when you try to pot it. It will weigh about twice what you estimate and will never fit in the car you hoped to take it home in.
Very occasionally one will be just right. That one will make all the others worth the effort and anguish.

Any freebie is worth collecting just for the experience and to develop skills. If I had the opportunity and the space for this tree I would probably take it.

Those are just my observations from many years of collecting trees for bonsai. You are welcome to accept or reject any or all.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you cant wait till spring, at least wait for leaves to drop and than dig it up.
I would anyway :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given parameter of it has to go NOW only answer personally is YES! Should be OK to do. Knowing how much this tree would cost in nursery makes this very great gift indeed. With Portlands unpredictable Winter weather best suggestion is move whole soil ball into grow box, keep on ground for root temperature stability and cover box/roots with sawdust/woodchips again for temp reason. In Spring ask Michael Hagedorn or other local master how to proceed but likely will be told to let recover one year before any work;). Best of fortune with it and please post picture after tree wakes up.

Last edited:

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d use it for landscape if you have a space for it. Around here those can go for over $200 at nurseries.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As a landscape tree I would say that maple is worth ballpark figures around $750-$1000 depending on the market. As a bonsai I would pass.....to plant it in my yard I would snatch it up in a heartbeat!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's grafted on the species A. p. so if you don't like the weeping bit and/or are uncomfortable with the graft appearance, go for it anyway. It's probably going to be a 'Tater, but you're in bonsai for the rest of your life...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is not really free! labour, gas, years of work. Not great material for Bonsai. Better to spend your labour, gas and time on something with promise. With maples a pretty nice tree can be grown from seed in ten years! This approach would involve less labour, gas and time! Oh and it will not be grafted if grown from seed. If you really want to speed up the process take hardwood cuttings from a suitable maple species and shorten the time frame by a year or two.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
As a landscape tree I would say that maple is worth ballpark figures around $750-$1000 depending on the market. As a bonsai I would pass.....to plant it in my yard I would snatch it up in a heartbeat!

I say this. If I were closer I'd ask for it if you don't want it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's grafted on the species A. p. so if you don't like the weeping bit and/or are uncomfortable with the graft appearance, go for it anyway. It's probably going to be a 'Tater, but you're in bonsai for the rest of your life...
I'm glad you mentioned that. My plan is to chop it pretty low, if it was grafted to a regular acer palmatum that might be a good outcome. from what i have read so far, not a lot of people use this species and difficult to layer. So, maybe I roll the dice and chop back to the tater. If I'm lucky maybe I end up with a big booty green leaf shohin? I got a sickness for the thickness.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Japanese maples including dissectum varieties transplant quite easily.
Not particularly good for bonsai in my opinion. - tend to have longer internodes so ramification will be coarse, also prone to dieback of branches.
Whether this one will be worth while will depend on the trunk and branches and what you expect from bonsai. Looks like just a couple of really thick trunks with little taper. Branches are probably all near the top? Again, depends what you want your bonsai to look like. Trees that look great in a photo inevitably look far worse when seen in person. Trees that look great before digging are nowhere near as attractive once you get it out of the ground. After potting they are even uglier. After a couple of weeks you will wonder why you ever bothered and start planning to get rid of it.
Size: Looks big! Consider: What sized pot will it fit in? How will you manage it in future - rotating the tree every week or 2 to get even light on all sides; repotting every few years; where will it fit in your garden?
Be warned, trees seem to expand when dug. A reasonably sized tree usually turns out to be about half as big again when you try to pot it. It will weigh about twice what you estimate and will never fit in the car you hoped to take it home in.
Very occasionally one will be just right. That one will make all the others worth the effort and anguish.

Any freebie is worth collecting just for the experience and to develop skills. If I had the opportunity and the space for this tree I would probably take it.

Those are just my observations from many years of collecting trees for bonsai. You are welcome to accept or reject any or all.
Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

From my experience on the two digs I have done, one was super easy (lonicera nitida), with small enough ball I managed to jam him into a colander. Other dig was a mature azalea in the rain, super heavy ball of mud nearly equal to the size of the foliage, had to be put in a large crate.
So I could probably use the experience.

I'm going to go dig. I could use the excercise and beautiful day today, 50*f and sunny. I appreciate the diversity of comments, and would like to thank everyone for contributing to my learning.

Now do I do my chops now, or wait until next appropriate time for a.p.?

fullsizeoutput_17a8.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I passed on this one. When I got there I discovered the tree was almost as tall as me with a massive trunk, lol! I sent the nice lady a picture of my hand next to the trunk and told her she could use it for other potential diggers.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2883.jpg
    IMG_2883.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Trip wasn't a total waste though. A couple of days ago I met with a local guy that had some pre-bonsai available. After I checked out his trees he gave me a phone number for another guy. I went to visit him on my way to see the maple and may have found a tree that I want.
Turns out he is recently retired and is teaching lessons. I've seen pictures of him on the Portland club website so probably not just some rando.
I'll share a pic, funny how I went to dig a giant and almost brought home a pipsqueak, but he got a big ol' butt!

Attachments

• IMG_2876 2.jpg
    IMG_2876 2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2878 2.jpg
    IMG_2878 2.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2879 2.jpg
    IMG_2879 2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom