Should I graft?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I git this big juniper, some fitzeriana or something. Dug up 4 years ago from a 50 year old municipal flowerbed that they were clearing. Two years later it came to me. For 2 years I have been bending the main branch into itself, and I have been compacting. I am getting foliage in all the right places. But.. but I realized the foliage is floppy. And apparently it is sensitive to juniper/pear rust. All in all.. I am in doubt. Should I graft ittoigawa on it? General shimpaku? Dunno.

What would you do?

20190610_28.jpg20190422_R14A1539.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I git this big juniper, some fitzeriana or something. Dug up 4 years ago from a 50 year old municipal flowerbed that they were clearing. Two years later it came to me. For 2 years I have been bending the main branch into itself, and I have been compacting. I am getting foliage in all the right places. But.. but I realized the foliage is floppy. And apparently it is sensitive to juniper/pear rust. All in all.. I am in doubt. Should I graft ittoigawa on it? General shimpaku? Dunno.

What would you do?

View attachment 260623View attachment 260624
I would grow it out for a couple of years. Unless it gets a lot healthier, grafting will be a poor option. Not strong enough! Then my choice would be itoigawa.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am more than happy with the results of grafting shimpaku onto a trunk that previously had prickly, upright, blue foliage. That tree is now comfortable to work and manageable for styling and maintenance. The shimpaku seems to grow even better on that trunk than on its own roots.
The process took about 5 years of learning how to do good approach grafts to get enough areas grafted then a few more years as the shimpaku grafts developed enough to style.
There's a case for keeping the integrity of the original foliage but if you have concerns with the foliage grafting with a better, stronger type is definitely the best option.

Not sure about the viability of approach grafting on weaker trunks as I've only used strong material but approach graft should not need really strong stock and may even help the trunk along as they start to take and feed the tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless it gets a lot healthier, grafting will be a poor option. Not strong enough! Then my choice would be itoigawa.
Thx.
These pics are from before summer. The trunk is now 80% covered with foliage, and throughout the summer I have had runners show up. Quite happy with the health. I think it will be ready for grafting next year.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I would graft. You will always be unhappy with the foliage, especially once you have put years of development work into it (I know this from experience...).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

I am going to graft the 'blaauw' cultivar onto media/pfitzer. See the picture above for comparison between the two.

I know there are some examples of blaauw on the forum here, but I disagree with their 'slow growing' nature. They're slow, but just as slow as needled junipers, so still not that bad.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the movement in that trunk. Maybe grow out some and then graft onto select branches?

Top Bottom