Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
or just trash it?

view A 0.jpg

view B next.JPG

or yank it upright ?

nexty.JPG

This tree has fought everything I've tried. It ...was... a twin trunk mess that I salvaged from a fool who potted in a DISH with half the roots exposed and which, of course....died..
Took it to one trunk. Still a mess.

Topping it all off is some sudden vision problems I am having.

I guess I could whack off that wayward branch that has NO backbud foliage.
But maybe just quit on it.

😭

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't trash it or jin it yet. Side A has some hope to me. Just grow it on for a while and wait till it speaks to you.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wouldn't trash it or jin it yet. Side A has some hope to me. Just grow it on for a while and wait till it speaks to you.
Looked again and saw a direction. Better look now. Will pic when get a chance.
No jin.....but that left branch in bottom pic now goes up and has some movement not shown in that pic..

I think it's on its way now.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Honestly I’d remove all wire, take it out of the pot,line a nice hole with bonsai like mix and let it grow with the unwired side in a 45 deg direction. Water and get it rooted in and forget about it for about five years... wire and style in ground and in the meantime get some others going including possibly a few procumbens nana or other mughos..... when we begin bonsai we tend to fuss too much on one or two trees until we “chop” and or kill it. Better off ground planting....until you “find” some designs in other more palatable specimens.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would pick one of those pointing up branches for a trunk and cut off the other one (leave a 2 inch stub for a year or two before flush cutting it).
Leave the horizontal branch. Then put it in the ground and let it grow more of a trunk if you want it bigger or if you dont, keep it in a bit bigger pot and feed it.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Rule of thumb: The more you cut at this point, the slower it will respond.....

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would pick one of those pointing up branches for a trunk and cut off the other one (leave a 2 inch stub for a year or two before flush cutting it).
Leave the horizontal branch. Then put it in the ground and let it grow more of a trunk if you want it bigger or if you dont, keep it in a bit bigger pot and feed it.

I decided not to cut it at all. Being that mugos are so rubbery that Malaysia is thinking of raising them in plantations, I just took that twisted limb UP.
Removed wire and REwired using both limbs.
Can't wait "a year or two."
When yer in yer 80th year, "wait a while" translates to "3 hours, MAX" Unless it's a doctor appt. and can be stretched as far as 2 days.
I anticipate leaving that wire on for the "rest of my life." 😄 😄

I'll concentrate on abusing my other trees now. 🧐

mugo 1.JPG

mugo 2.JPG

mugo 3.JPG

mugo 4.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a bad small tree so far. Also any Jin now would be very thin and rot quickly after removing bark:confused:.

Top Bottom