Should I mess around with styling after I repot my Juniper or let it grow out some more?

Dank Piscean

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
20220321_123418.jpg20220321_123355.jpg1648185408417.png

I plan on repotting my Juniper into a bigger pot with better soil tomorrow and was wondering if its too early to start styling and what style might be best for the shape my tree is taking? I'm perfectly fine with being patient and waiting for it to grow out some more too. This is my first tree so I'm not very familiar with styling but I hear its best to start planning and wiring while they're young. Thanks for the advice anyone can give!

Joe_B

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Let it grow. Maybe trim those new buds

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As it is your first tree you'll probably be looking for a recipe or guideline to success. Unfortunately with bonsai, and many other plant related pursuits, there is no one way to success. It depends is the most common answer.
It depends what you want to achieve.
It depends how much root pruning you do.
It depends where you live.
It depend what species.
It depends on the soil mix and care.
and so on and on and on.

In general we'll advise to be patient after a repot and allow the tree time to recover. Pruning, wiring and bending soon after repot can break of tender new roots but doing the same while the tree is out of the pot during repot procedure can be OK because that does not put stress on new brittle roots..
Pruning, wiring and bending all contribute some stress to the tree. Added to severe root pruning may be enough to kill a tree but less pruning or less root reduction may be OK even in combination. Definitely safer to allow a season between each for trees to regain strength unless you have good experience on what each species will tolerate under your unique conditions.

It is not clear how large the new pot will be. Pics still show relatively small pots but may be to indicate possible styles??? For good advice we need full information.

As for style there's so little to work with it is almost impossible to plan any one particular style. You can pick one style and work toward developing that but the tree currently has little to contribute, being so young.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine I'd break out some thick wire and put as much bend in as many bends I could in the trunk. Not trimming any foliage.
Then slap it in a colander for a few years while I decide what to do with the green.

Top Bottom