Should I prune the top of this Mountain Maple?

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Not sure if I should leave the top parts or how to prune it. Any recommendations?

IMG_20200419_170907.jpg

IMG_20200419_170938.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Are you asking about trimming new growth, or structural pruning?
Personally, I’d look for other planting positions/angles. The trunk is quite dynamic and may look better planted a bit more upright.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk is quite dynamic and may look better planted a bit more upright.
My thought as well. I was just waiting for someone with more experience to chime in, and he has. I have several trees, quite a few of which are maples, that have been training as semi cascades that I have been viewing this year differently. I have been considering a more upright position for some of these.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
But, I want to keep it small like this.

Then prune off those strong shoots that extend past the outline now. Then let it grow until summer.

In summer, clean up the branching and cut the strongest parts back however you would like to develop the structure (up and out? Or traditional pine style, etc. ) and just fertilize a small amount until leaves drop.

Then you can do a very minor fall clean up and continue developing it from there. There are a lot of techniques for managing maples to be small/ shohin but you should look into researching them on this site and the internet.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some very long internodes on that tree. I note the photo is taken inside but Mountain maple do not like to be kept inside the house. It should be kept outside in the sun and fresh air.
We trim any shoots that get too long to make sure the trees stay the size we want. You can trim long shoots whenever they grow too long.

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Some very long internodes on that tree. I note the photo is taken inside but Mountain maple do not like to be kept inside the house. It should be kept outside in the sun and fresh air.
We trim any shoots that get too long to make sure the trees stay the size we want. You can trim long shoots whenever they grow too long.

Photo is outside on the balcony in shade. Yeah, these Maples grow fast!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is quite an unusual design for what you call a "mounatin maple", an Acer palmatum - according to Japanese/European mainstream standards.

The trunk line is beautiful.

The leaves are much narrower than the plain species. The internodes look long, but that can be shortened.

I think you should prune it hard.

PS : you're in Japan, correct ?
If so, did you buy this tree or did you grow it yourself ?...
If you bought it, why not get back to the person that sold it to you for advice ?...

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the fact that it's unusual.

I bought this and my Japanese isn't so good to get advice from Japanese people :p

Top Bottom