Should I Prune this Larch?

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Summer has just started here, so it's probably too late to prune, but I was thinking of just pruning the long leggy branches.

Larch.png

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldnt prune without a plan,
Please be aware that larch doesnt backbud so the long bare trunk will stay a long bare trunk
So i sugest leave it be until needles have fallen and then wrap the trunk in raffia and wire and twist it up and go for a literati styled tree!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Please be aware that larch doesnt backbud so the long bare trunk will stay a long bare trunk

Right, but if you prune long branches, the buds lower down will produce new twigs so it will be more ramified, then:

(when) needles have fallen and then wrap the trunk in raffia and wire and twist it up and go for a literati styled tree!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right, but if you prune long branches, the buds lower down will produce new twigs so it will be more ramified, then:

(when) needles have fallen and then wrap the trunk in raffia and wire and twist it up and go for a literati styled tree!

True.
If you have another flush comming i guess its ok to prune the branches back to promote ramification as alain sugests !

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
How hard can I prune it? Can I prune back the branches to about 5cm?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats up to you my plant was repotted so i left two extra on to keep more growth to help the tree recover

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
To develop a thicker trunk, should I wire it up, plant it into the ground and then let the top grow out?

Top Bottom