Should I re-pot this dwarf pomegranate?

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought this dwarf pomegranate today from my local nursery. It has great roots and I would like to repot it into this nice dish I got at an antique store(just drilled some holes) nice pot for 6$! Anyways it’s october most of my plants are inside right now. Do you think it would be ok to repot now? Looking at the condition of the tree in its pot, I think a repot would help it significantly. But if it’s too late in the season It can wait. I have my sun room where it would get great light and I also have artificial lights to help. So what do you think? 1C9DD6B3-0B35-4BBE-852F-5A4E98496EAD.jpeg37E06720-D1EC-42C8-97A7-674266891CB0.jpeg84DA3825-AEF8-4B6E-9A63-79B39A50A80C.jpeg7A99C608-10BA-4AE3-BA02-DB5873D15A39.jpegBD19F3B4-EBD1-464F-B99D-1C05D0C41B25.jpeg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello, I think the holes are very small for a bonsai pot. But besides this fact...
The (very) young tree you got needs space to grow, and a shallow pot for a pomegranate at this stage of development isn't a good idea. It needs time.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You should wait until spring to do a repotting. Are you planning to keep it inside as a tropical during the winter? I did that with mine last year, and I got.very weak growing this year. I suspect it has to do with the lack of dormancy. This year, I am letting mine outside (our nights are in the 30s now, days in the 60s to low 70s) until it drops its leaves and then into my unheated garage. I hope dormancy will help with a more vigorous growth next Spring/Summer

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello, I think the holes are very small for a bonsai pot. But besides this fact...
The (very) young tree you got needs space to grow, and a shallow pot for a pomegranate at this stage of development isn't a good idea. It needs time.
Thank you. yeah I think I need to thicken the trunk more. Do you recommend any root work? Im thinking I might just add more soils to the bucket its in now.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should wait until spring to do a repotting. Are you planning to keep it inside as a tropical during the winter? I did that with mine last year, and I got.very weak growing this year. I suspect it has to do with the lack of dormancy. This year, I am letting mine outside (our nights are in the 30s now, days in the 60s to low 70s) until it drops its leaves and then into my unheated garage. I hope dormancy will help with a more vigorous growth next Spring/Summer
Yes, thats what I am afraid of. I may just leave it in its original pot to gain size. ill see what happens in the spring. Ill be leaving it outside until temps get real low (which is in a few weeks :rolleyes:)

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the warmth?
I dont know pomegranates but a dormancy period for most trees is longer than until just after the leaves fall off.
Like 1000 hrs.
Oh. That’s what you meant. Would you leave one outside all winter. I think last year we had a bunch of days in the teens I just dont want it to die. Sorry still learning!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've overwintered a little one inside for two years. No discernible harm done, by doing so.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had a pomegranate for over 35 years. At some temperature colder than 25 F they will be killed outright. Key with cold is duration. If the cold lasts long enough to freezes solid the pot they are in, they can be killed by temps as high as +25 F. I found out the hard way. I used to leave mine outside to get a few frosts of 29F. I forgot once and +17 F killed it dead.

I got my best growth moving it to my well house. A totally dark room that stayed colder than 40 F, and stays warmer than 32 F. Not many have well houses anymore, but your garage might work. It needs zero light while it has no leaves. It rended to wake up early, usually February. I would then move it to the lights set up I used for my orchids. Growth made indoors would be weak because of the lower light intensity. As soon as safe from frost it would go outside. I would give it a hard pruning to eliminate all but the first internode of indoors growth. Overall this worked "best".

However the first 20 years I had my pomegranate, I did exactly as @Carol 83 - Leave it outside to first light frost, then bring it in to over winter either on a windowsill, or under lights in the orchid collection. THIS WORKED. It might not have been the best, but it worked well enough I kept the tree alive and growing for 20+ years. A trick I found to make this work better. I would stop pruning the pomegranate about middle of summer, say August 1 to Aug 15, in my climate. It would then come inside in October, fairly overgrown. It would sit, semi-dormant for the winter, putting on some weak growth that would have ''too long'' of internodes due to being in relatively low light. When it was put outside for the next summer, after last frost. I would cut it back sharply at that time. Cut back into the growth from the previous August. Last frost was May 15 to May 31. So first week of June I would prune back into the growth that had been left on since August the previous summer. This way all the growth that was kept had short internodes because it was ''made in the sun of summer''. It worked fine. THe overall size of my tree did not increase as fast as a tree grown in California, but it grew enough I was happy with it. Every summer I would get flowers. I loved it. So Carol's method is ''good enough''.

Pomegranate is a great beginner species for bonsai, because they are resilient plants. They will forgive the occasional ''forgot to water'', they will tolerate a frost, if you forget to bring them into protection. As long as you give them sun, they are fairly bullet proof as a tree goes. In terms of drought tolerant, I once let it dry out in middle of summer, maybe 4 or 5 days after it should have been watered. Every leaf shrivelled up and died. Kept it slightly damp for a month afterwards and bingo, it started growing again.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol, not saying it's the right thing to do, just that it worked for me. @bonhe is the pom expert here, maybe he'll be more help.
Thanks for promoting me Carol 83. I know pomegranate growing in hot dry weather, but not in cold climates! ?

I had a pomegranate for over 35 years. At some temperature colder than 25 F they will be killed outright. Key with cold is duration. If the cold lasts long enough to freezes solid the pot they are in, they can be killed by temps as high as +25 F. I found out the hard way. I used to leave mine outside to get a few frosts of 29F. I forgot once and +17 F killed it dead.

I got my best growth moving it to my well house. A totally dark room that stayed colder than 40 F, and stays warmer than 32 F. Not many have well houses anymore, but your garage might work. It needs zero light while it has no leaves. It rended to wake up early, usually February. I would then move it to the lights set up I used for my orchids. Growth made indoors would be weak because of the lower light intensity. As soon as safe from frost it would go outside. I would give it a hard pruning to eliminate all but the first internode of indoors growth. Overall this worked "best".

However the first 20 years I had my pomegranate, I did exactly as @Carol 83 - Leave it outside to first light frost, then bring it in to over winter either on a windowsill, or under lights in the orchid collection. THIS WORKED. It might not have been the best, but it worked well enough I kept the tree alive and growing for 20+ years. A trick I found to make this work better. I would stop pruning the pomegranate about middle of summer, say August 1 to Aug 15, in my climate. It would then come inside in October, fairly overgrown. It would sit, semi-dormant for the winter, putting on some weak growth that would have ''too long'' of internodes due to being in relatively low light. When it was put outside for the next summer, after last frost. I would cut it back sharply at that time. Cut back into the growth from the previous August. Last frost was May 15 to May 31. So first week of June I would prune back into the growth that had been left on since August the previous summer. This way all the growth that was kept had short internodes because it was ''made in the sun of summer''. It worked fine. THe overall size of my tree did not increase as fast as a tree grown in California, but it grew enough I was happy with it. Every summer I would get flowers. I loved it. So Carol's method is ''good enough''.

Pomegranate is a great beginner species for bonsai, because they are resilient plants. They will forgive the occasional ''forgot to water'', they will tolerate a frost, if you forget to bring them into protection. As long as you give them sun, they are fairly bullet proof as a tree goes. In terms of drought tolerant, I once let it dry out in middle of summer, maybe 4 or 5 days after it should have been watered. Every leaf shrivelled up and died. Kept it slightly damp for a month afterwards and bingo, it started growing again.
Thanks for information. I learn a lot from yours .
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom