Should I remove this growth on the trunk?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my Barbados Cherry (Malpighia emarginata), she was sick all winter and is finally getting better. Good growth and some back budding now that summer is here. I continue to get growth at the base of the trunk, I've been searching the forums and reading about back budding to help save a tree. This tree is currently the healthiest I've seen it, and I want that to progress so... Should I let these grow or remove them? And can/should they be removed permanently? I was thinking of letting them grow out until the fall for the health of the tree, but I don't want it permanently.

DSC_1256_1.JPG

The growth in question.

InkedDSC_1258_1.jpg

Different angle

DSC_1257_2.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I would trim back those long weeping branches that only have leaves on the end. That will encourage back budding farther up on the branches.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would trim back those long weeping branches that only have leaves on the end. That will encourage back budding farther up on the branches.
Yes^^^ it is kind of a mess right now but I understand the need to let the plant regain its vigor.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You mean taking half, or more of the branch off? (Please explain it like I'm five years old. The more crayons the better.) :) Some of the longer branches are back budding, but not all of them are. So, I'm kind of waiting to see what branches are dead or alive, I realize I can do the scratch test, but these branches are really delicate/brittle once formed. I'll try doing that on some of them.

Picture of BB.

InkedDSC_1259.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You mean taking half, or more of the branch off? (Please explain it like I'm five years old. The more crayons the better.) :) Some of the longer branches are back budding, but not all of them are. So, I'm kind of waiting to see what branches are dead or alive, I realize I can do the scratch test, but these branches are really delicate/brittle once formed. I'll try doing that on some of them.

Picture of BB.

View attachment 445381
That's good. If the branches get too long sometimes they only want to grow leaves on the ends. They respond well to pruning in the summer especially. I once had one sit like the dead from March until August. I was ready to throw it on the burn pile when it decided to start growing.

Top Bottom