Should I repot this Money Tree?

CarolinaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey y'all - I am a complete beginner and I need your help. My sweet little girl bought me this Money Tree with glued rocks inside? Can/should I repot this? Thanks in advance! IMG20220702123928.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pachira aquatica, Malabar Chestnut or a money tree doesn't really work well with most bonsai techniques. Big leaves, doesn't get much branching, etc. But fun to grow anyhow. I would at least take the glued rock off, make sure the soil drains and untie them. I have mine outside, they can take plenty of sun.
I rescued mine from someone that kept it in its original container still tied together, there were three trees tied together and only one with any life. I made a video of my process that I need to edit, when I am done I'll post the link here.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As Sorce said, welcome to crazy! Where about in the Carolina’s are you? There’s quite a few of us in here. First main question…. Is there a drainage hole in the bottom of that pot? The ones with the glued rocks are notorious for not having drainage holes…. That’s step one.

CarolinaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
As Sorce said, welcome to crazy! Where about in the Carolina’s are you? There’s quite a few of us in here. First main question…. Is there a drainage hole in the bottom of that pot? The ones with the glued rocks are notorious for not having drainage holes…. That’s step one.
No drainage hole either! I'm in Greenville, S.C.

CarolinaBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Pachira aquatica, Malabar Chestnut or a money tree doesn't really work well with most bonsai techniques. Big leaves, doesn't get much branching, etc. But fun to grow anyhow. I would at least take the glued rock off, make sure the soil drains and untie them. I have mine outside, they can take plenty of sun.
I rescued mine from someone that kept it in its original container still tied together, there were three trees tied together and only one with any life. I made a video of my process that I need to edit, when I am done I'll post the link here.
Thank you!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My girlfriend purchased one at her work and it had the same problem. It was in a pot without a drain hole. I repotted it in a 50/50 mix of potting soil and bonsai soil that drains very well. I put it in a wider pot with the bottom inch filled with pumice. Now that it’s not sitting in water it should take off. @CarolinaBonsai yours should do well once you repot it. I hope this helps.
F32D8A54-C61E-4CBF-8EF2-5C7B72EBEC6C.jpeg

Top Bottom