Should I return it? Juniper Browning pines (Newbie)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I recently got into Bonsai when I picked up a Ginseng Ficus about two months ago. My goal was to learn more about bonsai and take my time before acquiring a new tree, but my gf saw how enthusiastic I was about my new hobby and surprised me with a Procumbens Nana Juniper (Ordered from Pro Flowers). I've had it a total of 4 days and noticed a good amount of brown pines on my tree :(

It was only indoors for about a total of 3 hours (I had to take it home from my job), and I placed it right out on our balcony when I arrived home. Pro Flowers did a good job of keeping it moist, I only watered it a tad bit before placing it outside.

I guess I was so excited about getting a new tree that I failed to fully inspect it-- Yesterday I noticed how many brown pines it had...Should I demand a new tree? I don't think I killed it that fast :( . The last thing I want at the moment is to end up with is a third Bonsai tree..is it dying?

I've searched several sites and only came up with a few possibilities; Overwatering, underwatering, disease, or pest. By the way I scratched the trunk a little and it's still green under the bark!

Please help, pics below:photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like it is healthy w/ new shoots. The browns are old, dead needle (leaves).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like it is healthy w/ new shoots. The browns are old, dead needle (leaves).

Those brown needles are perfectly natural.

Rob

Thanks to you both for the fast replies! Is it safe to prune the brown needles? Or should I leave it be for now? I plan to prune and repot mt Gensing once the spring weather goes into full affect.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the fast replies! Is it safe to prune the brown needles? Or should I leave it be for now? I plan to prune and repot mt Gensing once the spring weather goes into full affect.

If you want an honest answer. This tree is far too young to have any work done to it. Cutting those brown needles won't really do anything, but it won't have any point to it either. This tree needs to be left alone to grow for about 5 more years. Then you can wire it into a bonsai design. I need to mention, though no fault of your own, they really didn't sell you a bonsai. They took a very young tree that they probably pulled out of the ground or grew and stuck it in a pot.

If you are really interested in bonsai. I would do some reading and look at pictures of nice bonsai. Getting to know the different styles. Then I would go have some fun and pick out a couple of cheap junipers at local garden centers to work on. This tree won't teach you much and without proper care from season to season, it won't last long. I hope this was helpful.

Rob

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want an honest answer. This tree is far too young to have any work done to. Cutting those brown needles won't really do anything, but it won't have any point to it wither. This tree needs to be left alone to grow for about 5 more years. Then you can wire it into a bonsai design. I need to mention, though no falut of your own, they did not really sell you a bonsai. They took a very young tree that they probably pulled out of the ground and stuck it in a pot.

If you are really interested in bonsai. I would do some reading and look at pictures of nice bonsai. Getting to know the different styles. Then I would go have some fun and pick out a couple of cheap junipers at local garden centers to work on. This tree won't teach you mich and without proper care from season to season, it won't last long. I hope this was helpful.

Rob

I appreciate the honesty. I personally would not have bought a tree from a website, but I was thankful that my gf surprised me with it. I knew what I had was very young and probably should not be tampered with for a while- I guess that will give me plenty of time to learn. I also plan to pick up a few books to read up on both of my trees. And yes, your post was indeed helpful. Thanks.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could have done worse...my first was a box store procumben with GLUED pebbles! Cringing...but, hey I saved it. Learned the day I brought it home from a friend glue is bad for the tree.

Buying online from a respectable bonsai nursery where they show photos of the actual tree your to get...is not a bad thing. Picked me up some nice material from Plant City Bonsai. But that said...we have a few members here who have websites.

A good place to check out reliable vendors is the area here on the forum...of people's reviews of said places.

Welcome to Bnut...and enjoy the hobby. It's quite interesting.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

The tree looks fine to me...Certainly dont over water and keep the tree in a well draining soil(mostly aggregates). Where in the MVA are you? There are a number of local clubs and I can put you in touch with someone depending on where you live. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi,

The tree looks fine to me...Certainly dont over water and keep the tree in a well draining soil(mostly aggregates). Where in the MVA are you? There are a number of local clubs and I can put you in touch with someone depending on where you live. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Thanks, i'd appreciate that. I'm currently located in Fairfax Va, but frequently go to Md and Dc on a weekly basis. Thanks for the soil tip. In comparison to my ginsengs soil, it doesn't seem to drain that well. I'm looking to replace it once it warms up.

Could have done worse...my first was a box store procumben with GLUED pebbles! Cringing...but, hey I saved it. Learned the day I brought it home from a friend glue is bad for the tree.

Buying online from a respectable bonsai nursery where they show photos of the actual tree your to get...is not a bad thing. Picked me up some nice material from Plant City Bonsai. But that said...we have a few members here who have websites.

A good place to check out reliable vendors is the area here on the forum...of people's reviews of said places.

Welcome to Bnut...and enjoy the hobby. It's quite interesting.

That actually sounds similar to my ginseng. It came with a pot with no drainage holes! I have the pot and new soil all ready, just waiting on the weather. Thanks, i'll make sure to check out that site. I've had a pretty good experience from the only website that i've used before for supplies. And i agree, this is not quite as interesting as my other hobbies!

Top Bottom