Should I still use these ferts?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay so these are some homemade "cakes" obviously. I belive they are similar to a recipe from @Brian Van Fleet , but I don't know what exactly is in them.

I actually took them off of a tree and they were brown looking delicious like "cakes" should.

My idea was to make them smaller and then distribute them to my smaller trees to finish out the year.

I put them into a plastic bag, I believe that has played a part into this, but not sure.

Could this be a good bacteria? Is it just mold? Can I still use them???

Attachments

• 20170829_112032.jpg
    20170829_112032.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it grew some anaerobic mold while in the bags? I wouldn't eat them, but I also wouldn't think there would be any plant affecting pathogens in there.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm, wouldn't they "disintegrate" into the soil though?

Eventually. Not sure why you would want that to happen. It could start clogging the soil and prevent good drainage.

I use Brian's recipe and I take them off the soil when they are spent. I don't want the debris clogging my soil

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've got a dime bag of mold there...Won't hurt your trees, which deal with all kinds of crap like this. Probably won't do them any good however. The pellets aren't any good after a month or so of exposure to the elements.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Eventually. Not sure why you would want that to happen. It could start clogging the soil and prevent good drainage.

Its not that I want THAT to happen. I believe Ryan Neil mentioned something along the lines of it promoting fine root growth towards the base of the tree. I could be wrong, I need to rewatch that video anyway.

I've been told that cakes are no good after about 3-4 weeks, same goes for chicken nuggets.

Plus animals go at them....so I use water soluble chemical fert.

The animals was my concern. Thats probably my biggest hesitation. We dont have many squirrels but there are birds and rabbits lol

I use the @M.Frary technique for Blue Juice. Actually plan om starting back up this Sunday lol

You've got a dime bag of mold there...Won't hurt your trees, which deal with all kinds of crap like this. Probably won't do them any good however. The pellets aren't any good after a month or so of exposure to the elements.

If it won't do any good then I guess I will pass and just crank back up the liquid ferts.

Top Bottom