Should I take the wire off newly bought brush cherry?

Limeycats

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi I got this today,
After all I’ve read im very concerned for the health of the trunk as the wire looks like it’s been cutting in for a while. Should I get it off right away as careful as possible? After that anything else?
Any help very much appreciated, I have emailed the nursery to ask their opinion too E19C22CF-47FB-4550-816D-43C8CE5EDCFB.jpeg0B8F37D0-4805-4938-83C1-1115480899B7.jpeg

Limeycats

Seedling
Reaction score
absolutely. Take it off. Or better.. Why did you buy this? You will not easily rid yur tree of the marks..
I purchased online from what I thought seemed a nice nursery, herons. I should complain I think? :( was so excited for it to arrive been reading and buying everything care wise I needed

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It galls me that so many places, very fine nurseries included, sell plants with wires that have already damaged the trunks and branches.
By all means get that wire off of there. You are going to see the damage for a number of years. :(

Limeycats

Seedling
Reaction score
W
It galls me that so many places, very fine nurseries included, sell plants with wires that have already damaged the trunks and branches.
By all means get that wire off of there. You are going to see the damage for a number of years. :(
I know I knew as soon as I opened it, after the removal of ghastly wires, is there and equivalent to bio-oil for trees? 😂 and generally the help the poor guy out should i transfer to a big pot to allow larger growTh and recovery time for said scarred years?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not to mention the crossed wires as well.

Is that Liverwort growing in the pot with the tree? Unusual, Liverwort normally grows in very moist areas- may have to keep an eye on watering and water sparingly

Limeycats

Seedling
Reaction score
Not to mention the crossed wires as well.

Is that Liverwort growing in the pot with the tree? Unusual, Liverwort normally grows in very moist areas- may have to keep an eye on watering and water sparingly
Should I remove? It arrived very well watered I was going to avoid watering until dry/very nearly dry

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It doesn't look that bad.

If we are honest about the trunk you need to make that look good, that wire scar disappears within 2 years.

But to complain about service, we will forego our previous understanding of a good trunk?

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this kinda reminds me of my first ever bonsai, a carmona. hopefully your purchase will just serve as a stepping stone and you wont be deterred like so many. we all have to start somewhere and ive made many bad purchases myself over the years and literally cringed when looking back. there will come a time when you yourself leave wire on a branch for too long and find that the whole branch will need to be removed. im sure many have been there. even those commenting

Limeycats

Seedling
Reaction score
this kinda reminds me of my first ever bonsai, a carmona. hopefully your purchase will just serve as a stepping stone. we all have to start somewhere and ive made many bad purchases myself over the years and literally cringed when looking back. there will come a time when you yourself leave wire on a branch for too long and find that the whole branch will need to be removed. im sure many have been there.
I don’t think I made a bad purchase... I trusted a reputable nursery to send me a decently looked after plant for the price you pay even if it’s an online order. Even with limited knowledge as a noob I wouldn’t have picked this up and bought it especially at the price it was

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don’t think I made a bad purchase... I trusted a reputable nursery to send me a decently looked after plant for the price you pay even if it’s an online order. Even with limited knowledge as a noob I wouldn’t have picked this up and bought it especially at the price it was

fwiw i probably wouldnt buy online from herons, i would drive down there myself. show them pics, tell them youre not happy and see if you can get it exchanged if you can't 'work' with it.

were the scars not noticeable from the online images?

we still havnt seen the damage done, can you post up some pics after wire removal. to ease your pain, ive bought trees that had old wire scars in before. on the trunk, on the branches. i delt with them in one way or another, maybe they ended up as surplus material or maybe the damage was reversible. ive purchased mass produced chinese elms with old wire scars on too.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Should I remove? It arrived very well watered I was going to avoid watering until dry/very nearly dry
Not unless you don't like it, I grow liverwort in terrariums and paludariums because I think they have a nice carpet look but to each their own

Limeycats

Seedling
Reaction score
C6E2DA98-08C1-4924-A666-C5DDAE570040.jpeg
i have managed to tie the missing bark on with twine to see if it fuses back on. I’m not surewhat to do about the unnatural curve at the bottom. I’m hoping now it’s not wired so tight the trunk will improve. Will put in a bigger pot soon?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 306766
i have managed to tie the missing bark on with twine to see if it fuses back on. I’m not surewhat to do about the unnatural curve at the bottom. I’m hoping now it’s not wired so tight the trunk will improve. Will put in a bigger pot soon?
Loose bark will not fuse with the trunk. Thise scars look pretty bad. I would call Herons and get my money back.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Im surprised Herons would just sell that without some sort of disclaimer. At least take the wire off before you pack it up and ship it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
tbf ive seen a lot worse on here, at least the tree has some movement. its actually pretty typical of a 'first bonsai'

the unnatural movement you speak of is actually a very common theme of mass produced trees coming out of china and japan.

for my next purchase, at your stage. i would maybe look at the kaizen bonsai website.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom