Should I try this?

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
This is a picture of a pine in my parents yard that needs to be dug up. My question is if it is suitable for bonsai. As you can see from the picture, one side is void of branches. Your thoughts please!!!

Attachments

• 20150405_090854[1].jpg
    20150405_090854[1].jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 61

johng

Omono
Reaction score
not a pine...probably spruce...not going to be easy to make a decent tree from... but if you have a vision go for it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it is going to go anyway, I suggest you take it and have a go. It will be good experience to dig it up, pot it, and keep it alive. Then there is the artistic challenge! Upright windswept and boring is what it is now. Think about bending a branch or two - where would you put the foliage. It can be pretty much anywhere you want by bending some branches. Take a look at Andy Rutledges Artistic Foundations of Bonsai Design. I think: slanted trunk, folage down near mid-height (nice little teepee), maybe a jin, maybe shari somewhere to make more interest.

hmmmm, probably won't be a masterpiece, but it'll be your piece .... Someday you may look at it and say, it is because of stuff I learned how to do with it, blah, blah, blah. The worst thing that can happen is that it is a bit later going into the compost pile than it would have been.

Gotta try; this isn't a spectator sport.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If it's already gonna be removed, then like said, use it as practice. Nothing may jump out as a design just now, but maybe in a year or two something will

Top Bottom