Should I?

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have been eyeing a neighbours juniper for years and finally had a chance to talk to the owner of the house today. I promised to replace it with a new juniper and she was happy to let me have it. Would now be an okay time to transplant it or should I wait until the spring. We haven't had any real frost here yet but the temps have been going down to low 40's at night and generally in the 50'- 60's during the day. The 14 day forecast says the nights will get down to the mid 30's but still no frost.
Also can anyone tell me what kind of juniper this is?
What are the experts thoughts 2020-10-21 12.48.41.jpg2020-10-21 12.49.08.jpg2020-10-21 12.49.16.jpgon this?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well... I see this thread was started almost 2 hours ago...

So I’m assuming (If you are anything like me) the tree is already dug!

Nice tree! I’d have done it, too..

If it was mine, and already “yanked”, i would: Protect it from vast changes in temperature, protect it from freezes, and protect the area around the foliage from windy/dry conditions..

There are quite a few different ways/methods for accomplishing these “protected scenarios” ;)

I cannot tell you what kind of Juniper it is.. NOR if (if you haven’t “acted” yet) it is reasonable timing for the species...

But I would have done it (too?)!

🤓

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My offering would be to take your time on the dig. Spade/cut down around desired size root ball. Then dig around circling the tree even bigger than the first ring you sliced down. Ensuring enough roots and mass are collected to aid in survival.
replant in larger collection container.
+ what @HorseloverFat said. 👍

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Blue rug juniper, J. horizantalis. It looks weak and has, imo, an uninspiring trunk, so I'd leave it right there. ;)
I respect this line of reasoning.

It does, indeed, look MUCH less than vital.. (weak, as you’ve stated) and would, in reality, have a relatively rough time “bouncing” back... if at all...

I’m just a sucker for “free”.. so would always try.

🤓

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you! All very valid comments. I wondered if someone would say "not worth it" I grabbed the trunk to give it a little tug. It was very loose and felt like I could just yank it right out, so ya, probably not much of a root system going on. I suspect it is pretty weak. It's living under a huge maple tree so it doesn't get much light. May just do it anyway. There is, however another juniper in the same garden. I'll snap another pic.
Thanks all. Stay tuned.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Heck, free AND easy? That's always a good combination.
It looks like it's been walked on by people using the enclosure there as a balance beam. I'd try it out and cross my fingers. Someone else said, "uninspiring trunk," but I can see that as decent semi-cascade after a few years back budding. I would suggest waiting until spring if you're not in love with it, or the neighbor isn't in a hurry to get rid of it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will take a long time to make something useful out of it.
Not impossible though, and if it's loose.... usually a better home helps em grow that much better, even in small pots so....

Get em all!

I just don't think replacing them is worth your $. But good neighbors are good neighbors.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally wouldn't invest the time in it, but then you are probably younger than me. When I was actively landscaping I probably burned a few hundred that had more potential. If I had it though I might just stick it in a pot and set it aside for a few years. I might see something in it eventually.
Best of luck. Maybe you can make me eat my words. I hope so as I have much experience eating my words. First few bites are a bit unpalatable but you develop a taste for it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like a Blue Rug, Juniperus horizontalis. I'd take it out now pot it up generously and sink it in full sun until next early summer. Then I 'd put it in a tall cascade pot and wire it like a wildman and feed it generously, too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You have the makings of an unusual specimen that will bring you plaudits if you make something of it. Otherwise, if you kill don't tell anybody!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yea I agree with the Juniperous horizontalis ID. I have a few of them myself

MIght be able to make something interesting if you can get it to back bud closer to the trunk.
Not sure how well that species does that though.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No! No back-budding allowed. It is the personification of a Bunjin, which is impossible to grow. They have to be captured, then managed.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Low light certainly an issue, but that visually wet planter box with likely juicy compacted soil & how easy it came out -that’s probably the real battle at hand, would let it breathe soil wise..

did ya smell the roots? gotta smell the roots

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I might do if I had the tree is reduce it to one leader and pot it staked in the start of a literati style. I've been wanting to start one so and that looks like a good candidate.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My two cents: if you see some potential, give it a try. It does not look super healthy, so don't beat yourself up if it does not survive. You will probably not know that until the spring though. It has had a sun deficit for a long time so more sun in the spring should help it recover. The upside is that you're building good will with your neighbor which is always a good thing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Bottom