Should roots be in the dark?

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Would keeping the roots in the dark change anything? (1.5 inch ficus cutting in water)

B29C9354-0F8E-4088-BD04-13BAAF035358.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Judging from a 25 year trial with 500.000 plants a year.. No. Roots don't care!
But algae might flourish. If that happens, you should have changed the water a few days earlier.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Auxin always causing the growth away from light. Hai Thank you.
But do root cells have chromophores with which to sense light?
'White' might be no color at all (like polar bear hair). White roots might be because there are no chromophores (hence no light effect).

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Glucose, synthesized by the photosynthetic process, influences root growth direction and root architecture by adjusting transport and response of phytohormones, for instance, brassinosteroids, auxin, cytokinin, and ethylene. Light, directly or/and indirectly, affects root growth, lateral root initiation, root hair formation and root gravitropic and phototropic bending.

Thank you OSyoung Discussion. Thank you. Good topics.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Roots can turn green and create their chromophores as well as phtotosynthesizing structures. At least, in some plants.
But do they care? Nah.
Tissue culture labs use transparent media and transparent containers. I used to process half a million cuttings a year (with an entire team, thankfully), all of these were grown in the light. If roots would have cared about that light, we would have noticed.
Instead, they grow outwards and only start growing backwards when they've reached the edge of the container.
If there would have been a negative effect, then I would expect some thousands of agar-medium recipes containing dyes that block the light. But there are just a few of those in worldwide literature.

There's a giant difference between leaf and stem response, and root response. Phototrophic bending is rarely found in plant roots.

Here is a video of a root growing in UV light. Part of an interesting competition.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
great conversation guys! Love it.

So, should my cuttings (at least the bottom) be in the dark?

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Judging from a 25 year trial with 500.000 plants a year..

Plant or tree? All plant or tree respond same?

I use the Hydroponic for cultivation. I make the DIY systems. For me, the best result was black tank for rooting. If the clear tank, he will root, but time is longer by 3-10X.

If rooting black pine tree, when white root starting, we must put in soil, quickly. If to many white root form, tree wont make it in soil at later time. this is of curiosity for me.

Thank you discussion.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Plant or tree? All plant or tree respond same?

I use the Hydroponic for cultivation. I make the DIY systems. For me, the best result was black tank for rooting. If the clear tank, he will root, but time is longer by 3-10X.

If rooting black pine tree, when white root starting, we must put in soil, quickly. If to many white root form, tree wont make it in soil at later time. this is of curiosity for me.

Thank you discussion.

Black tanks have other advantages too! Algae don't grow in darkness and if they don't grow, nutrient levels, pH and oxygen levels are more stable. Light has a strong effect on water bound molecules, especially when the light is only filtered by plastic.
I think that's part of the reasons why a difference in rooting time happens.

For hydroponic roots, I have noticed the same thing: if there are more roots, the transition to soil gets harder. I have brainstormed about this, and we came to the conclusion that in hydroponics, most plants make roots that are different from regular roots. The hydro roots can manage very high water levels, they adapt to those levels. When they enter soil, they have the tendency to dessicate or rot.
I believe there are a few reasons:
- mechanical stress in the soil, no mechanical stress in hydro.
- different microflora; water bound micro flore sometimes can't survive on land conditions.
- different type of root; roots growing in 100% humidity have different physiological shape and function. In orchids this example is very strong.
- roots can change shape and form, but this is limited; if there are more roots, it becomes harder (more energy investment) if there are less roots, it becomes easier.
- hydro plant adapt their turgor pressure to deal with high water content. If water content suddenly drops, turgor pressure regulation might be too slow to support life.
There are many other things that come to mind.

Say, @Kendo have you tried misting the plants for a few weeks after transition? If so, can you tell me the result?

I like this discussion too!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Next question, what’s the easiest way to move them from water to soil?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Take them out of the water by grabbing them with your fingers, then put them in the soil.
That's the easiest way.

You could take intermediate steps by putting it in sphagnum moss first and transition that 'block' of roots+moss to soil after a month or two. That way the shock is less heavy on them. Sphagnum also has some antifungal and antibacterial properties that could help.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Take them out of the water by grabbing them with your fingers, then put them in the soil.
That's the easiest way.

You could take intermediate steps by putting it in sphagnum moss first and transition that 'block' of roots+moss to soil after a month or two. That way the shock is less heavy on them. Sphagnum also has some antifungal and antibacterial properties that could help.

Oh, sh#$. I have to touch them? Ick.

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time guys to respond to this noob!

Top Bottom