Should these young roots be covered?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Will these be okay on top or should I cover/bury them? Not sure if this is weird way to get nutrients, so I thought I'd ask. This is a Betula nigra (River Birch), outdoors in Michigan, and it's just starting to bud if that matters.

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_202838892.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220410_202838892.MP.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20220410_202853686.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220410_202853686.MP.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20220417_205741254.jpg
    PXL_20220417_205741254.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 33

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Roots that fine will desiccate quickly if not covered by soil, and preferably, a thin layer of fine sphagnum moss. If this tree was just re-potted, I'd probably not worry too much about their loss at this point, but they should have been completely covered by the soil.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Roots that fine will desiccate quickly if not covered by soil, and preferably, a thin layer of fine sphagnum moss. If this tree was just re-potted, I'd probably not worry too much about their loss at this point, but they should have been completely covered by the soil.
Not repotted recently. It's pretty windy where I live, and I was thinking I needed a covering for the soil. I'll check out the moss you mentioned.

I also like learning new words, and the word for today is "Desiccate". 🤓 Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just noticed we are in the same area. I'm 38 miles south of Detroit...I notice your zone is a bit different than mine. Mind if I ask the source of yours? I realize it may be more my misunderstanding but if I could learn a new word and a new zone that would be great!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just noticed we are in the same area. I'm 38 miles south of Detroit...I notice your zone is a bit different than mine. Mind if I ask the source of yours? I realize it may be more my misunderstanding but if I could learn a new word and a new zone that would be great!
Are you asking about climate zones? Source?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My county alone ranges from 5a to 7b. Heck, just within a 20 minute drive any direction it changes a full zone. USDA growing zones don't follow politically drawn lines at all. They're based on the average coldest winter time temperatures for the most part. It's possible to shift a zone just from one end of town to another.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, the usda zone system is based on expected minimum winter temperature.... https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/ My zone zone 6a should expect cold of -5 to -10 F, and a 5a zone should expect cold between - 15 and - 20 F. Without knowing your exact location, I'd surmise my micro climate is warmer then yours because I'm basically between 3 of the great lakes and large bodies of water moderates the local climate, keeping it slightly warmer in the winter and slightly cooler in the summer. This was my first winter here and the coldest it got in my back yard was - 6 F... so far, so good! Supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow... yay Spring!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, the usda zone system is based on expected minimum winter temperature.... https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/ My zone zone 6a should expect cold of -5 to -10 F, and a 5a zone should expect cold between - 15 and - 20 F. Without knowing your exact location, I'd surmise my micro climate is warmer then yours because I'm basically between 3 of the great lakes and large bodies of water moderates the local climate, keeping it slightly warmer in the winter and slightly cooler in the summer. This was my first winter here and the coldest it got in my back yard was - 6 F... so far, so good! Supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow... yay Spring!!
Thanks. Using the link you provided it says I'm in 6a.

Top Bottom