Shout out Houston

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey all I am in Houston for a few days. If anyone is collecting any trees / wants to go hunting let me know! I’d love to explore down here!

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Or if you wana help out a fellow bonsai person and see if there are any places with permits to grab! Thanks !

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If I knew I'd help ya out 😭 I'm still trying to find some legal spots myself. The local bonsai club does a dig but they have some sort of agreement with a park. Hopefully some other locals will chime in.

Houston is a vast place, do you know what side you'll be on or what the area is called?

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m basically downtown but will be here till Saturday. I found a person locally that may have some land I can look over so I may be able to get you out there.

I just wanted to see if anyone had some land or places with permits !

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’d also be willing to pay a fee since I’m an outsider / will never be back. Or repay the favor if you’re up north haha. Not looking to mooch just looking to collaborate!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya know what might be easier and vastly more productive than trying to get someone to take you collecting? Go to a landscape nursery. Here's one inside Houston City limits that sells native species--there are a number of others too.

You will probably be able to get a pretty decent Bald cypress already containerized at any decent landscape nursery. Chop it, put it in a box, take it home on the plane, or whatever.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @rockm i may look into that!

There’s something to be said about a wild tree though and the work that goes along with collecting it! I have BC from containers back up north and don’t mind if I don’t find any locals or permits to collect.

But I enjoy the work of finding / looking / collecting but it doesn’t always work out!

I also am not looking for someone to take me collecting if they don’t want. I’m totally fine going alone. I was more looking for a possible landowner that wouldn’t mind or someone that could direct me in the right way about local forests that may allow collecting!

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @rockm i may look into that!

There’s something to be said about a wild tree though and the work that goes along with collecting it! I have BC from containers back up north and don’t mind if I don’t find any locals or permits to collect.

But I enjoy the work of finding / looking / collecting but it doesn’t always work out!
Go look at the nursery. What you get up north ain't what you can get at Texas nurseries. Not the same thing. I would be very surprised if you get someone to take you out to dig one. If you want a wild tree, a better approach might be to offer to buy an already collected one from a collector down there.

If you're down there this weekend, looks like the Houston Bonsai Society is holding its monthly meeting (first Saturday of the month). Might be a great place to make contact.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I will go look at a nursery but again I am not looking for someone to take me! Not looking to mooch. Looking for someone who may have land that won’t mind getting paid to let someone dig a single tree. I have access to land back home and if people were around and wanted to I’d be happy to let them look around. Or give them the In roads to permits or local knowledge etc!

Just was putting out feelers! Don’t want to mooch or take away secret spots haha. I’m a hunter and fisherman so I get honey holes and the rest.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ya know what might be easier and vastly more productive than trying to get someone to take you collecting? Go to a landscape nursery. Here's one inside Houston City limits that sells native species--there are a number of others too.

You will probably be able to get a pretty decent Bald cypress already containerized at any decent landscape nursery. Chop it, put it in a box, take it home on the plane, or whatever.
@Backwardsvg
What is your schedule for Friday? Check with me in PM. I can help you get a BC with decent buttresses and a May hawthorn too if you like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom