Shout out to Adair

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I first met @Adair M here on B'nut close to a decade ago. I eventually met him in person at An Atlanta Bonsai Society Spring Show and we've been friends ever since. Along with bonsai, we share an affinity for horses and goats, IPAs and red wine, nice cars (his;)), trying to figure out how to beat the stock market, and bragging about our kids (his two are ALMOST as good as my two). Anyway, he has always been very generous with his time and knowledge- to a fault, really. If I had more free time to make the 4 hour round trip to his house from mine, I'd be spending much more time in his yard working on trees.
Adair has been studying with Boon out in Cali for years, and I was lucky enough to be out there during this year's BIB show. Going back to Boon's house after the show, Adair gave my wife and I a personal tour of the nursery, and helped me pick out a very nice shohin olive stump. That olive came home to GA last month in Adair's carry on bag after sitting on the bench that Adair rents in Boon's nursery since January. I don't know how he did it, but the tree looked great! I've done a little pruning, reduced the number of smaller trunks, and am using some wire and chop sticks to create more movement. This will be a fantastic clump in a few years, I think.
IMG_0464.jpgIMG_1156.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for sharing. That is very cool.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was lucky enough to by one of Adair's shohin JBP last winter. Unfortunately, that tree weakened and died shortly after I re-potted it, most likely do to the crazy weather we had in my yard this winter and spring. When I saw the tree was losing steam and mentioned it to Adair, he dutifully tried to save it, giving all sorts of advice, but all in vain. Without hesitating, Adair offered me another, nice tree as a replacement. I was stunned, but he insisted. That tree came home with the olive last week. Adair will have to forgive me, but I couldn't help myself and did a teeny tiny little bit of work and wiring to it in preparation for changing the front and planting angle a bit- it's really not a good time to be wiring JBP that were de-candled a month ago but I was very careful:eek:. Anyway, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one. Thanks again, friend.
IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1154.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great story! How do you over winter the olive?
It goes into my garage if temps are going to fall below 30F... I do have a small gro light in there and my smaller olive actually grew a fair amount last winter in there. Adair tells me he'll leave his out until temps fall to 25F.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was lucky enough to by one of Adair's shohin JBP last winter. Unfortunately, that tree weakened and died shortly after I re-potted it, most likely do to the crazy weather we had in my yard this winter and spring. When I saw the tree was losing steam and mentioned it to Adair, he dutifully tried to save it, giving all sorts of advice, but all in vain. Without hesitating, Adair offered me another, nice tree as a replacement. I was stunned, but he insisted. That tree came home with the olive last week. Adair will have to forgive me, but I couldn't help myself and did a teeny tiny little bit of work and wiring to it in preparation for changing the front and planting angle a bit- it's really not a good time to be wiring JBP that were de-candled a month ago but I was very careful:eek:. Anyway, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one. Thanks again, friend.
View attachment 205648View attachment 205649View attachment 205651View attachment 205652
You could tilt it even more! ;)

Next year when you repot it, you’ll probably find more root to expose. And remove more of the rocks the roots are growing around!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 205648View attachment 205649View attachment 205651View attachment 205652
Great friendship!
But did he know that dropping branch design was in order? ? Nice trees BTW.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How does a broken branch on a red pine factor into this story? ?

Regardless it has a happy ending (or is it beginning?) - nice stuff (the trees). :D

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I first met @Adair M here on B'nut close to a decade ago. I eventually met him in person at An Atlanta Bonsai Society Spring Show and we've been friends ever since. Along with bonsai, we share an affinity for horses and goats, IPAs and red wine, nice cars (his;)), trying to figure out how to beat the stock market, and bragging about our kids (his two are ALMOST as good as my two). Anyway, he has always been very generous with his time and knowledge- to a fault, really. If I had more free time to make the 4 hour round trip to his house from mine, I'd be spending much more time in his yard working on trees.
Adair has been studying with Boon out in Cali for years, and I was lucky enough to be out there during this year's BIB show. Going back to Boon's house after the show, Adair gave my wife and I a personal tour of the nursery, and helped me pick out a very nice shohin olive stump. That olive came home to GA last month in Adair's carry on bag after sitting on the bench that Adair rents in Boon's nursery since January. I don't know how he did it, but the tree looked great! I've done a little pruning, reduced the number of smaller trunks, and am using some wire and chop sticks to create more movement. This will be a fantastic clump in a few years, I think.
View attachment 205636View attachment 205638
Nice trunk movement and size for Shohin. I am used to you fellows posting Olive monsters! I sense the presence of Sam Adina in this post! Whenever i see a nice olive his presence appears! Another nice guy who shared time with others willingly and studied with Boon. I have a Shohin Olive that was a gift from Sam. It spawned in my garden and the cuttings are taking over certain grow beds.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice trunk movement and size for Shohin. I am used to you fellows posting Olive monsters! I sense the presence of Sam Adina in this post! Whenever i see a nice olive his presence appears! Another nice guy who shared time with others willingly and studied with Boon. I have a Shohin Olive that was a gift from Sam. It spawned in my garden and the cuttings are taking over certain grow beds.
I have 4 olives. All were started by Sam.

Sam was in my first Intensive class at Boon’s. I foolishly took on the task of unwiring Godzilla, and then pulling needles. After 3 hours hunched over Godzilla, and still have 2 hours of work ahead of me with only one hour to do it, Sam graciously stopped what he was doing and helped me finish. I’m forever grateful! Lol.

Two years later, Sam posted this tree on Facebook:

850C2581-8C61-4CCB-A1CA-E30014847B3C.jpeg

I bought it.

I was my first olive. Sam took it to Boon’s, and I got a crash course on how to develop olives!

Now three years later, I’m taking it to the Nationals!

That pot, by the way, is having a second life, as well!

8C83BBC5-F7B8-435C-969D-8C7DA7FCFF0E.jpeg

That’s my first Utah Juniper. Got a few grafts started.

What is it they say? Go big or go home?

Something like that!

PS: I’m hoping that when we move the Utah out of this pot into something else that something bad happens to this pot! I don’t think my back can handle any more big trees! Lol!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4hour round trip?

Like 2 one way?

Shiiit!

Thats awesome Adair! All of it!

Swell!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4 drives a slow car.

It would be faster in a Tesla! :eek:
Not true!! I'm driving my wife's old Camry now... 194,000 + miles on it but she's a V6 and has plenty of giddy up. Don't forget... I got a speeding ticket in my mini-van driving up to attend the Redneck Study group session in March... and the Camry has almost 50 more HP!

Top Bottom