Shout out to Tandamiti bonsai

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I meant to post this months ago when I got the stand but you know how that goes :rolleyes:🤪.
Love their stand. It's for small shohin/mame trees. @Hank Miller was very easy to work with and very responsive. Their site is www.tandamiti.com and has stands and lots of tropical trees etc. Check them out!
Disclaimer: The shimp, spruce and larch trees are mine but the flowering mame and little fern and the two pots are from the web and just virted in for looks. (My kids were super impressed with my photoshop skills; I used an app called color and it's free!)

Also, I'm no expert in shohin display and would love feedback from someone who is (@Adair M ?). Unfortunately a few hot summer days took their toll on my little larch which is now dead. It's really upsetting but I've neglected my trees in favor of my fish pond this summer and I've only myself to blame! I'm looking to acquire one more little tree to use in combination with the shimp and the spruce. Any suggestions and where to acquire?

Project Capture (19).jpgProject Capture (16).jpgProject Capture (15).jpg20200924_134538.jpgIMG_20200522_134627237.jpgIMG_20200522_133841069.jpg

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I should've put something for scale but the exact dimensions are on their site and the stand is quite reasonably priced IMO.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks nice! I checked them out. The stands are nice and reasonably priced. The trees, not so much. But it looks like a nice place to get a stand 👍
67469F2F-15B4-41C9-85ED-D578AD53715E.jpeg

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I think just like the bonsai mirai sale I think the nicer more expensive bonsai at Tandamiti are a better value than the starter type material?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe the small table with the "rolled" legs would be better as a "stand alone" element, as opposed to physically being on the display stand?

Stand looks nice and delicate, so maybe that theme of "less is more" could be carried thru each piece?

Note the "flow" of the stand. Orientate your tree's movement to be congruous.. make sure to keep the flow un-interrupted...

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe the small table with the "rolled" legs would be better as a "stand alone" element, as opposed to physically being on the display stand?

Stand looks nice and delicate, so maybe that theme of "less is more" could be carried thru each piece?

Note the "flow" of the stand. Orientate your tree's movement to be congruous.. make sure to keep the flow un-interrupted...
Thanks for the input. So replace the scroll stand with a jita or just nothing? Which of the setups look like they flow better?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flow? Hmmm....going to the viewer's right. Some of your material doesn't necessarily flow that way, however.

This just a stand display or will there be a "companion" type offset display aspect?

That might make a difference in some tree placement relative to their "flow", i.e. leading back towards the other elements on the stand.....

....these things may be a bit above my "pay grade" however.....haven't you seen my photos? :oops: ;):):):):):):)🤢

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Flow? Hmmm....going to the viewer's right. Some of your material doesn't necessarily flow that way, however.

This just a stand display or will there be a "companion" type offset display aspect?

That might make a difference in some tree placement relative to their "flow", i.e. leading back towards the other elements on the stand.....

....these things may be a bit above my "pay grade" however.....haven't you seen my photos? :oops: ;):):):):):):)🤢
I'm certainly open to a companion situation :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First four images seem nice. Not sure I would use ANY tables or wood-slabs. Keep it very simple. Always leave them wanting more.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think your biggest difficulty with this stand is going to be the doubling back stair step circled in red.

IMG_20200522_133841069~2.jpg

Note the more singular directional movement of a more traditional stand. @artofthedaiza
img_0125.jpg

So your movement should go as per the arrows.👆

You also have to define which "squared off" space you will use. The large hole on the bottom can not be a rectangle with a shelf jutting into it. It must be a thinner tall Rectangle, or a short square.

IMG_20200522_133841069~4.jpg

Fill those imagined spaces. The stand is creating mandatory negative space.

I like the pot on top like this best. But that scroll stand is too precarious. That top left space actually ends at the posts on the bottom. A tall exclamation tree on the bottom right will work best IMO.
IMG_20200522_133841069~3.jpg

You're going to need much smaller pots and trees IMO. With them, you may be able to fill the bottom left 2 spaces. But they seem almost unusable with larger things.

Seems to congested full, yet to sparse, or unbalanced with anything missing.

An unconnected accent might help that.

Sorce

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I think your biggest difficulty with this stand is going to be the doubling back stair step circled in red.

View attachment 331260

Note the more singular directional movement of a more traditional stand. @artofthedaiza
View attachment 331261

So your movement should go as per the arrows.👆

You also have to define which "squared off" space you will use. The large hole on the bottom can not be a rectangle with a shelf jutting into it. It must be a thinner tall Rectangle, or a short square.

View attachment 331262

Fill those imagined spaces. The stand is creating mandatory negative space.

I like the pot on top like this best. But that scroll stand is too precarious. That top left space actually ends at the posts on the bottom. A tall exclamation tree on the bottom right will work best IMO.
View attachment 331259

You're going to need much smaller pots and trees IMO. With them, you may be able to fill the bottom left 2 spaces. But they seem almost unusable with larger things.

Seems to congested full, yet to sparse, or unbalanced with anything missing.

An unconnected accent might help that.

Sorce
Thank you so much for taking the time. I'm always confused by all the flow stuff!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much for taking the time. I'm always confused by all the flow stuff!

That Madden/Pollack lookin' thing made sense? ;)

First picture was nice. Think tall accent in lieu of the flowering tree. Fill the space there, but with subtlety.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
That Madden/Pollack lookin' thing made sense? ;)

First picture was nice. Think tall accent in lieu of the flowering tree. Fill the space there, but with subtlety.
Something like this? And then maybe a companion on the side? Which side would be better?

20200926_002702.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something like this? And then maybe a companion on the side? Which side would be better?

View attachment 331473

That is a wonderful use of the space!
Best yet!

The "weakness" of the plant left allows it to be "crushed", which is why those more delicate accents feel better outside the box, in this case, to the right, facing inward left.

A quickly tapering upright Deciduous would be nice left. Beech?

Nice to come see such a perfect reimagination of the display, and not just more talk!

Nice.

Sorce

Top Bottom