show complacency

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I'm becoming frustrated with the shows my club presents. I'd like to continue to advance in my knowledge of display but have reached a point of no return.
Our shows are focused in getting as many members to participate as possible. When I suggest we consider striving toward japanese show standards, I'm told we're different as americans and if we do go that way, most will not show their trees.
I don't see why a show can't be held that allows beginners to participate as well as those wanting to advance to also show and be judged by a different standard. Having a show judged by those who would like to advance allows both sides of the fence to participate.
I have 35 years of Koi show experience. You can have novice criteria as well as those participating in the general show. So why not bonsai?
Not so much looking for arguements on both sides of the story. But if anyone else has experienced this, and over come....what did you do to accomplish achieveing your dream
while keeping others involved?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Benbow-san....

I'm a month from being on the board. You'll have another voice to amplify your own. :)

Hugs,

V

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
I'm becoming frustrated with the shows my club presents. I'd like to continue to advance in my knowledge of display but have reached a point of no return.
Our shows are focused in getting as many members to participate as possible. When I suggest we consider striving toward japanese show standards, I'm told we're different as americans and if we do go that way, most will not show their trees.
I don't see why a show can't be held that allows beginners to participate as well as those wanting to advance to also show and be judged by a different standard. Having a show judged by those who would like to advance allows both sides of the fence to participate.
I have 35 years of Koi show experience. You can have novice criteria as well as those participating in the general show. So why not bonsai?
Not so much looking for arguements on both sides of the story. But if anyone else has experienced this, and over come....what did you do to accomplish achieveing your dream
while keeping others involved?

Do you have a master or senior member who can mentor this effort? Sounds like the complacency you speak of is being overridden by the desire of the club to increase membership. Curious about the comment from other club members "..we're different as american...". Bonsai still requires standards in my opinion. Sounds like you need to find a new club.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have a master or senior member who can mentor this effort? Sounds like the complacency you speak of is being overridden by the desire of the club to increase membership. Curious about the comment from other club members "..we're different as american...". Bonsai still requires standards in my opinion. Sounds like you need to find a new club.

It's the largest club in the region.... with many skilled members.... just not a lot of people with display experience.

I have a plot to get Kathy up here just to teach on that.

So there you go Dick... a reason to live. :D

Hugs,

V

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think I have Kathy's videos memorized. Sure would be great to get her up here for that one reason. Last year she came up to say thanks for the volunteers at Weyerhaeuser, but she did strictly bonsai demos, much to my chagrin. So hopefully we can begin to make opportunities for all with the right influences on the board. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I have Kathy's videos memorized. Sure would be great to get her up here for that one reason. Last year she came up to say thanks for the volunteers at Weyerhaeuser, but she did strictly bonsai demos, much to my chagrin. So hopefully we can begin to make opportunities for all with the right influences on the board. :)

I'm also planning on having David give a talk on display for Bremerton sometime... so you would be welcome to come to that if you like when we do. :)

Having Kathy teach on only one thing is like asking Leonardo to have only painted. It would have been enough... but the sheer measure of the talent would be lost. :)

V

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe you guys need to try to communicate why display is important to you. Put yourselves into their shoes. Maybe they only care about how good theirs trees look. Personally, I'm trying to learn about display, but really I find it hard to care enough to warrant paying hundreds of dollars for stands, scrolls, suiseki, etc.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would propose making a different space for more dynamic trees. Entry level trees don't deserve equal space to the work that others have put in. A beginner section where space is more compact. You have to create some kind of reward for skills that have moved forward. Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe you guys need to try to communicate why display is important to you. Put yourselves into their shoes. Maybe they only care about how good theirs trees look. Personally, I'm trying to learn about display, but really I find it hard to care enough to warrant paying hundreds of dollars for stands, scrolls, suiseki, etc.

As with all things bonsai... there are layers of interest and depth. Having dropped in fairly heavily already compared to most, I know for a fact I'm no where in the league of some. I equate it to having painted a lovely picture... framed it... and then leaned it against a shabby wall. If I'm not doing this with display as a goal, and one which does so to best advantage, I'm not sure I'd do it as I do. :)

But if someone is still figuring out how to keep one alive... display is like putting the cart before the horse. That being said... completely neglecting the advancement of skilled people into deeper layers of experience will also kill their interest in the collective also.... since teaching bonsai 101 only works for so long.

All things in balance. :)

Kindly,

Victrinia

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This came up at our last club meeting. We decided that for our spring club show the most important thing is that everyone feels welcome to show a tree/display and not be intimidated by some of our very experienced members. We will have a novice and master category with modest awards being decided on by the club members vote. Like what was said before, many people can not afford a $300 stand for each tree (just to be told it is not right) and they don't have the appreciation and training needed to put out a top flight display.

So we are having it on one evening, have some food, a chance for people to explain their displays ask lots of questions and most importantly HAVE FUN.

My hope is in time, as peoples trees develop. they will be inspired to up their game in display.

Top Bottom