Show me pots

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let’s start from a sensible point, bonsai has got certain rules or guidelines with regards to pot size and trunk ratios.
My problem is that in a ‘correct’ size bonsai pot the soil dries out too quickly in the summer (which is almost 8 months long) and I’m not home long enough to water my trees twice a day.
So now I wanna see who else is breaking aesthetic rules and gimme your reasons
Included is a tree that I’ve seen around before, one of my wife’s colleagues probably take it outside occasionally for some sun.
1DFF60C2-1ECE-4D03-B90C-EEFA297748A0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kevin,

when you need more moisture, test the 3 mm size.
As our mix goes,
3 mm silica based gravel -3.5
3 mm crushed porous redbrick 3.5
Aged compost 3

This is what works for us on Tamarinds at less than 2.5 cm
deep pots.
Full sun
Tamarinds are very thirsty.

How ever please note we do water to wet leaves in the early
evening, twice in the morning, with a watering can that has a
coarser rose.

Th idea is to eventually pot trees with 8 cm trunks in 2.5 cm
deep pots.
Remember - test expendables not mothers.
Good Day
Anthony

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @Anthony , but my deeper pots have already been shipped

Attachments

• 31A256E8-1C9D-435F-8F56-2E4BE2E400E7.png
    31A256E8-1C9D-435F-8F56-2E4BE2E400E7.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 12

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Yes, bonsai pots do dry out quickly in summer but there are ways of managing that. Watering effectively so the entire root zone is properly watered, not just the outside edges. Changing mix characteristics - size, components, etc. Keep pots, especially smaller pots on a humidity tray slows drying and gives roots access to extra water. Deeper pots (not necessarily larger diameter). Oversize pots can give added resilience while beginners learn to manage bonsai effectively then eventually move trees to more appropriate sized pots. As an added bonus trees in oversize pots grow faster and develop and thicken better - most beginners start with immature trees that are not really ready but just have to get them into proper bonsai pots so oversize is OK.
I've stopped using really shallow pots here. Our summer is also long and hot. Trees in shallow pots suffered despite the best care and attention.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, bonsai pots do dry out quickly in summer but there are ways of managing that. Watering effectively so the entire root zone is properly watered, not just the outside edges. Changing mix characteristics - size, components, etc. Keep pots, especially smaller pots on a humidity tray slows drying and gives roots access to extra water. Deeper pots (not necessarily larger diameter). Oversize pots can give added resilience while beginners learn to manage bonsai effectively then eventually move trees to more appropriate sized pots. As an added bonus trees in oversize pots grow faster and develop and thicken better - most beginners start with immature trees that are not really ready but just have to get them into proper bonsai pots so oversize is OK.
I've stopped using really shallow pots here. Our summer is also long and hot. Trees in shallow pots suffered despite the best care and attention.
Also adding sphagnum about the top of the soil, or cotton material will trap moisture if needed.
Gets exceeding time consuming though, to add a moist towel after watering to pots in need.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also adding sphagnum about the top of the soil, or cotton material will trap moisture if needed.
Gets exceeding time consuming though, to add a moist towel after watering to pots in need.

yeah, spare time isn’t really my friend here, full time studying and juggling several part time jobs.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
*I don't show my trees. If I did, I still think the Ginkgo could get away with his shoes.

Spaghnum moss as a top dressing helps to a degree.
Pyracantha is in a deeper pot for my comfort of keeping it happy with one watering.
IMG_20191008_084659265.jpg

Crabapple...tried a new bench and summer sun made some foliage crispy. But also a deep pot.
IMG_20190927_085507733.jpg

White chojubai quince cuttings...species like deeper pots.
IMG_20190907_163017228.jpg

And last but not least...the Ginkgo in a Victor Harris commissioned pot. 12" wide 3" deep.

That's enough spamming. 😉
IMG_20190528_071552544.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yeah, spare time isn’t really my friend here, full time studying and juggling several part time jobs.

as couple others have said, i would go for a more moisture retentive mix, especially if you dont have as much time to water and what not. in shallower pots i use a bit more organic in the mix and top dress with spag moss. or just dump em in a deeper pot that takes longer to dry out. problems solved, bonsai is simple really;)

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this pot is too deep and probably too masculine for this little boxwood...I may try to find something a little shallower and fem to put it in
0F1DF579-11AF-4872-AE1F-0EB557BE939D.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Turned that pic for @JKL.

Is there no way to set up an autowater?

It was @defra or @Tentakelaertje maybe @leatherback told me about a solar powered water pump.
I use a battery operated timer.
I wonder if you can't rig a bucket to auto water in the peak of the day for you.

Solutions solutions solutions.

Sorce

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Turned that pic for @JKL.

Is there no way to set up an autowater?

It was @defra or @Tentakelaertje maybe @leatherback told me about a solar powered water pump.
I use a battery operated timer.
I wonder if you can't rig a bucket to auto water in the peak of the day for you.

Solutions solutions solutions.

Sorce
I think I was somewhere talking about a solar powered pump indeed quite a while back tough

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'd just say that a healthy bonsai in a deep pot looks infinitely better that a dead bonsai in a "correct" pot. So called "too big" pots were the status quo 100 plus years ago.

Top Bottom