Show me your backyard set up!

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I'm quickly realizing that the rate of new tree acquisition will be resulting in a cluttered backyard deck, yard etc. I'm envisioning a shelf or two on the fence...maybe a post to display a tree. I need to take over my yard without taking over my yard. But why reinvent the wheel? Show me what's working for you!

Shamless opportunities for people to show off their set up / trees (bragging rights), bonsai p0rn to live vicariously and also create oppertunity for others to expand their collections.

So if you'll be so kind...please invite me into your backyard!

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m in the planning stages of something similar. I’ve already designed my “benches” and screen/fence that will separate our side yard from the sight lines in the backyard. Go figure, my wife doesn’t want to see my “nerdy” trees.

I’m most excited about automating watering and getting the trees off the ground.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One thing often leads to another!

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8297.JPG
    IMG_8297.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8298.JPG
    IMG_8298.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had these benches for 12 years now - I refurbished them over winter, changing the wooden planks to composite.

IMG_4401 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

I've recently dug up all the trees I had in the ground and I've made 2 raised-bed/enclosures for holding all the collected Larch I have in pond baskets. I completed this last weekend:

IMG_4404 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've had these benches for 12 years now - I refurbished them over winter, changing the wooden planks to composite.
I replaced my benches this winter to composite also, but the tensile strength is terrible and they’re sagging in the middle now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I replaced my benches this winter to composite also, but the tensile strength is terrible and they’re sagging in the middle now.
I actually placed additional support beams because I'd previously had saggy wooden decking.

What I am seeing is that the left frame has developed a nasty little lean to the right since I did the refurb. I fear this is due to the lack of rigidity in the way the composites are attached to the frame vs the way the OLD decking was attached to the frame. I'll have to put a lateral cross beam on the back to straighten it back up again. FFS...

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine seriously looks like an episode of hoarders, mixed with an inner-city resident evil landscape.
I hear ya. Two overflowing benches, on cinder block in the yard, on tables. I even commandeer the vegetable bed. It's the only place totally netted off.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Some great ideas here for benches, stands (and even growing pots @River's Edge )!

@toasalp I'm thinking of making a stand out of composite similar to what you have going on and then adding something like this:
View attachment 372897
I've seen this before and it does look really cool for display. The only disadvantage would be having the plants right up against the fence where one side would be weakened unless you're constantly turning them around. I've started making sure all of my benches/stands are at least ~18" away from the fence etc. so they get good exposure, and still turning them around every week or two.

Sital

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a set of nesting tables. The tallest one is in use inside until it finally gets warm enough to put everything outside.

IMG_7278.jpegIMG_7279.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It helps to have a bigger back yard. Because sometimes there is no more room on the benches or in the grow beds. So cuttings spend time in the greenhouse and pines spill over into the back yard. Note the amazingly colourful Pot's for the cuttings and the coarse gravel bed for Anderson Flats to discourage root escape and encourage air pruning with free drainage and dry feet for the pines. This is a group of JBP and JRP approximately eight years old. The fancy holed Betty Crocker pots contain prunus mume cuttings, hardening off prior to placement fully outside!
IMG_1483.JPGIMG_1494.JPG

Top Bottom