sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The long night is upon us. I retire to my keep to plan landscaping modifications to support my future ground growing plans...

Luckily, Mr. Motion doesn't really care how the yard looks. Sadly, I do...I'm looking to be inspired/educated by seeing how folks with gardens of various sizes integrate pre-bonsai with other temporary/permanent/hardscaping features.

I know that gardens may not be looking their best right now, but show me what you've got.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sparkle,

these are Dry Season shots - Dec 25th to June.
Part of the yard for growing.

And the grow trough = ground growing

Good Day
Anthony

purely .jpg

The upper section - the tree on the left - the pomegranate has since died of old age -28 years

purely functional.jpg

This dirty concrete shape is a trough system surrounding the house. It is about 12 x 12 deep x 10 feet long.
House is about 80 x 65 feet.
That]s also part of the exterior patio, floored in terrazzo.

Grows trees to 3 inches diameter trunks in a year.
If the wood is soft it can go faster to 3 inches.
Soil is a modified loam, called top soil on our side. Basically clay, sand and organic material plus
1/2 inch gravel. Gets full sun.

trough.jpg

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for sharing!

I'm wondering now if I have been too worried about keeping the understory of my beds totally clear. Maybe I can still work in some attractive ground covers as long as they are reasonably shade tolerant and won't shade out the young trees.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I try to keep it clean tough some ground creeper plants grow in between now cus i havnt had time to clean it up recently if i let the ground cover grow to much it will shade out the lower buds/twigs also keeping the ground free so there is no interference from other roots taking up fertelizer wich is ment for the tree's !

I will look if i got pics of how its suposed to look like

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These will give a rough idea of my set-up. my grow out beds are primarily in the second picture, just after completion, they are now full of 3 yr old japanese black pine. Set in colanders with roots extending through to the raised beds. Soil is primarily pumice. there is a drainage layer of coarse black lava in the bottom of each grow bed. The japanese Black pine will shift to individual grow boxes this coming spring.IMG_8300.JPG IMG_8299.JPG IMG_8303.JPG

Top Bottom