Show me your redbud!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread from 2017 has some good info.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Five pages and still not one presentable tree? These have to be harder to keep than we believed! I had one for a few years that just never took off.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois do these self pollinate?

Sorce

I don't know the answer. Cercis, the redbuds are in the Legume family of plants. The culinary pulses, peas, & beans, do partially self pollinate. Soybean tend to carry about 60% to 90% self pollinated pods, with the remainder insect pollinated. That is dependent upon pollinator insect population density (bro in law is a soybean geneticist, holiday gatherings often found me & bro-in-law having really geeky plant discussions).

Given how dense my landscape tree is with seed pods, I suspect they do self pollinate.

Photo of a redbud, below was taken from internet. My only notes are "Showa-Kinen" which is probably the public garden where the photo was taken. If someone can read the Japanese in the label, you might have more information.
redbud-showa-kinen (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow the leaves do reduce:) Very nice Leo. Thanks for posting and giving us hope.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There are many cultivars of this species, most of which are derived from one subspecies. For bonsai, the differences between the subspecies are probably more important than cultivars. The subspecies in North America are C. c. canadensis, C. c. texensis, and C. c. mexicana. There is also a related western species, C. orbiculata.

In that same sequence, they vary along a continuum: largest leaves, most shade tolerant, least drought tolerant, most cultivars to smallest leaves, most sun tolerant, most drought tolerant, fewest cultivars. Here in North Central Texas, C. c. canadensis and C. c. texensis are both native, with many intergrades. C. c. canadensis grows in semi-shade and moist alluvial soils. C. c. texensis grows in full sun in gravelly, well drained, high pH soils.

As landscape trees their longevity is very dependent on selecting the right subspecies for the site. I have never tried one as bonsai, but my guess is that C. c. texensis or even C. c. mexicana would tolerate bonsai culture better. They also have the advantage of smaller leaves and the ability to bloom all along the trunk and older branches instead of primarily on young twigs. If I ever come across a good candidate, I'll give it a try.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
and a gold one.
Not sure if these are what you have, but you have to check out 'Hearts of Gold' and 'Rising Sun.' Rising Sun is probably my new favorite; orange and chartreuse new growth, with light green summer foliage (not the typical dark green).

Weeping red leaf form is called 'Ruby Falls' (my favorite of the weeping forms) and the green leaf form is called 'Traveler.'

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My neighbor planted one over the property line on my property, I may have to try it , lol. At least try an air layer seems fair

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My neighbors. Red weeper. She's disappointed it won't get taller. Grafted I'm sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_123422327.jpg
    IMG_20200122_123422327.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 33

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if these are what you have, but you have to check out 'Hearts of Gold' and 'Rising Sun.' Rising Sun is probably my new favorite; orange and chartreuse new growth, with light green summer foliage (not the typical dark green).

Weeping red leaf form is called 'Ruby Falls' (my favorite of the weeping forms) and the green leaf form is called 'Traveler.'
I picked up a Rising Sun this summer for $50 because it had a large major branch that was dead. Also picked up a variegated one from same seller called Alley Cat. My green weeper is not traveler. I can't remember name off top of my head but it will come to me. It was planted about 30 years ago.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My neighbors. Red weeper. She's disappointed it won't get taller. Grafted I'm sure.
Show her your bonsai skills and wire her up a new leader:cool: It'll look funky though until it fills in...

We'd get them in like that at the nursery from the growers, staked to train the leader up. Most had the stakes off at that point but it was obvious from the multiple broken stakes at the base of the trees.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
After years of sporadic attempts to get one of the many volunteers around my property transplanted into a pot, it appears I’ve succeeded this time! Surprisingly it is a larger tree w about a 1” trunk. It had been growing in mostly coarse gravel by my drive and I’d pruned it back to a stump once or twice. When I finally dug/pulled it up it had just like five thick radial roots wo branches, and one small taproot with some scraggly rootlets. I didn’t think it would survive but I cut the roots back enough to fit In a big plastic pot and filled it up w salvaged soil and bam, it’s still budding out after three weeks. It will be a long road to a bonsai, but I’ve always wanted to try this species for its bark, elegant form, and flowers so here’s my chance.

I’ve got to mention that the Japanese specimen shown in this thread while certainly spectacular is possibly the worst example of following the natural form of a species I have ever seen.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After years of sporadic attempts to get one of the many volunteers around my property transplanted into a pot, it appears I’ve succeeded this time! Surprisingly it is a larger tree w about a 1” trunk. It had been growing in mostly coarse gravel by my drive and I’d pruned it back to a stump once or twice. When I finally dug/pulled it up it had just like five thick radial roots wo branches, and one small taproot with some scraggly rootlets. I didn’t think it would survive but I cut the roots back enough to fit In a big plastic pot and filled it up w salvaged soil and bam, it’s still budding out after three weeks. It will be a long road to a bonsai, but I’ve always wanted to try this species for its bark, elegant form, and flowers so here’s my chance.

I’ve got to mention that the Japanese specimen shown in this thread while certainly spectacular is possibly the worst example of following the natural form of a species I have ever seen.

Can we see a photo?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe in a pot the appropriate pruning time changes?
And we end up pruning off the buds?
I learned something, maybe, about bud timing from my landscape redbud this year.

Last year around mid July, give or take a few weeks, a thunderstorm with heavy winds snapped the main trunk of my ~10 foot tall eastern redbud. This resulted in the tree losing 100% of its branches and leaves. Within about 2-3 weeks it sent up about 15-20 shoots from the trunk and suckers from the base of the trunk. It survived the winter, didn't flower at all this spring (It had flowered the previous 2 springs), but then proceeded to leaf out and grow vigorously.

So I'm thinking either
1) They set their buds for next year a lot earlier than most species (June/ early July?)
2) They don't flower if they have been subject to a certain amount of stress.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Took this picture yesterday (July 15).

Are those visible axillary buds for next year's flowers?
Or are they just dormant buds in case something comes and munches off the leaf?

Attachments

• RedbudnewBuds.jpg
    RedbudnewBuds.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom