Show off your Apple (not crabapple) bonsai

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So this is my malus... dug last spring.. even with full-leaf... I am unable to identify it (specifically)... so I’m assuming it’s a genetic “revert”...

So I call him Johnny.. he used to be a bit bigger.. but upon inspection, today, I noticed an entire missing “branch/section”... someone got hungry. 🤣

66CEBC15-21AF-4EE2-ABDF-7B21A2DA84AD.jpeg2D2E4EBB-D74E-40D4-A96E-032ACB07C026.jpeg

Last edited:

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's awesome. Someone got a snack and you will probably have some interesting options due to back budding!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Where does apple stop and crab apple start? I believe that 'crab' is an old English term for seedling so crab apple traditionally just means a wild seedling as distinct from a grafted or cutting grown tree. There are many varieties of domestic apple with the term crab in the name - Huon crab, Hyslop crab, Virginia crab,. There are also a number of varieties of domestic apple that have smaller fruits but have been selected for special flavor or color.

Just wondering what purpose you have for the distinction in the thread title?

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where does apple stop and crab apple start? I believe that 'crab' is an old English term for seedling so crab apple traditionally just means a wild seedling as distinct from a grafted or cutting grown tree. There are many varieties of domestic apple with the term crab in the name - Huon crab, Hyslop crab, Virginia crab,. There are also a number of varieties of domestic apple that have smaller fruits but have been selected for special flavor or color.

Just wondering what purpose you have for the distinction in the thread title?
Hey, originally when I wrote the title I was purposing this forum for apple trees that would eventually or currently hold a larger fruit. Not a species with smaller fruits such as crab apples. I guess what I said can be interpreted in several different ways.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey, originally when I wrote the title I was purposing this forum for apple trees that would eventually or currently hold a larger fruit. Not a species with smaller fruits such as crab apples. I guess what I said can be interpreted in several different ways.
It could also be said “Domestic” or “Culinary” Apple. 🤓

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
KIMG0522.JPG
Same pic I posted for my native tree challenge submission for the wild plums, but that one on the far left with the lable of, "wild cider," is some ferrell variety we discovered growing near an old condemned house. A few years back was bumper year for apples here, and we went and stole several bushels from the one tree and pressed them into cider. Fruit smaller than my fist, green with a slight blush when ripe, very crunchy, but plenty of juice.
BEST CIDER EVER.
Very dry and tart, but still sweet.
We went and took a few cuttings just before Thanksgiving to try and grow our own. Early in the season for cuttings, we know, but we were excited about the idea, and the parent tree is huge, so there will be more if these don't strike. I want to bonsai at least one, just like I'll plant at least one of the plums.

Sno

Mame
Reaction score
This is an air layer that I took off a wild apple tree up the road from my place . It was a lower branch that had been nibbled on by deer so was stunted . Unfortunately being a wild apple tree ,although being a large tree 5 metres plus ( over 16 feet ) it was not producing much fruit . I have had this tree for about 5 years or so and it hasn’t flowered in that time . The parent tree now produces fruit which are a mid sized apple .
DB0B5641-071C-444D-AC58-7FACEE5D70E1.jpegB1A7C9C0-8259-4D48-9BDB-8E96BCD602BB.jpeg8DC19061-84CE-464B-917D-DC7BCC194E52.jpeg
It’s over grown because I was hoping to get flower buds which haven’t happened . I am about to chop I it hard and then next spring I am going to do some grafting so it may end up a crab . The base has developed well and has gone ‘Jabba’ on me
9ECF4F59-9D6F-454D-BDEB-03DF8C43842D.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is an air layer that I took off a wild apple tree up the road from my place . It was a lower branch that had been nibbled on by deer so was stunted . Unfortunately being a wild apple tree ,although being a large tree 5 metres plus ( over 16 feet ) it was not producing much fruit . I have had this tree for about 5 years or so and it hasn’t flowered in that time . The parent tree now produces fruit which are a mid sized apple .
View attachment 344044View attachment 344043View attachment 344042
It’s over grown because I was hoping to get flower buds which haven’t happened . I am about to chop I it hard and then next spring I am going to do some grafting so it may end up a crab . The base has developed well and has gone ‘Jabba’ on me
View attachment 344045
Marvelous!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 344045
I love it, so gnarled looking. It's awesome

Prozart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 344045
This is awesome! Examples like this (unique, interesting, a bit crazy), whether in nature or bonsai, are what I've always loved about trees.

Top Bottom