Show us some of your bunjins under construction

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Since it seems to be a topic that invokes a lot of feelings I thought it would be cool to post some bunjin style bonsai or bunjins under construction so to speak.
I'll start off with a couple I'm working on.
First is an Atlas cedar that only has a years training, no where near close but maybe one day.
file-141.jpg

Next is one of my favorite trees- A CA juniper I've been working on for about 10-12 years. I'll be putting it into a more feminine pot in a couple of months.
file-138.jpg

This should get things started. I showed you some of mine so now lets see yours.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love both of these. Although the CA juniper is not a bunjin, it is absolutely incredible specimen.. In a word..WOW. Probably one if the nicest trees in training that I have seen here in a while...

Rob

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, my turn. This is a JBP...only committed to the Bunjin design less then a year ago. A few more years ahead working on ramification and needle length....

Attachments

• DSCF1317.jpg
    DSCF1317.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 511

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Now, these two, a JRP and a San Jose juniper, are not what I'd consider Bunjin, BUT....I think they both have a Bunjin-like quality to them.

Attachments

• DSCF1239.1.jpg
    DSCF1239.1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCF1240.1.jpg
    DSCF1240.1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 373

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They all look great Dave.. I love the Red pine.. Like really love it...and you know what that means....lol.. If you were still around here..I would casually make mention of how you wanted to give the tree to me, but you did not realize it yet..:D

Rob

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Love both of these. Although the CA juniper is not a bunjin, it is absolutely incredible specimen.. In a word..WOW. Probably one if the nicest trees in training that I have seen here in a while...

Rob

Thanks. I like this tree so much I had it put on my arm.
file-9.jpg

I'm curious though what makes it not a bunjin?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They all look great Dave.. I love the Red pine.. Like really love it...and you know what that means....lol.. If you were still around here..I would casually make mention of how you wanted to give the tree to me, but you did not realize it yet..:D

Rob

Rob, I think it's time I came clean with you.........YOU are the reason I moved to GA...I couldn't take the idea of finding you in my yard carrying my yew and juniper under your arms:eek:.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Now, these two, a JRP and a San Jose juniper, are not what I'd consider Bunjin, BUT....I think they both have a Bunjin-like quality to them.

I too would love to have that red pine. It's on its way to being a fantastic tree. Thanks for posting it.

Anyone else want to put up some examples there were well over 1000 views and almost 60 replies on the last two bunjin posts. With that much interest I'd think there be more examples.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks. I like this tree so much I had it put on my arm.
file-9.jpg

I'm curious though what makes it not a bunjin?

They did a good job on the tat. The tree is not a bunjin because it is an informal upright. The subtle curves of the trunk and it's proportions dictate that style. Also, the branches begin around the center or lower on the tree. The proportions of the trunk are too powerful and thick for a bunjin. Also, the practically perfect taper of the trunk.

I can't type enough times how magnificent this tree is. I really look forward to it filling in a bit and the new pot. Just an awesome tree.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Rob, I think it's time I came clean with you.........YOU are the reason I moved to GA...I couldn't take the idea of finding you in my yard carrying my yew and juniper under your arms:eek:.

What can I say, I have an affinity for beautiful trees...lol... You know, I think the last time I was in Georgia was probably 1999. Maybe it's time I planned another trip up there.. You are lucky I don't like to travel. ;)

Rob

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
They did a good job on the tat. The tree is not a bunjin because it is an informal upright. The subtle curves of the trunk and it's proportions dictate that style. Also, the branches begin around the center or lower on the tree. The proportions of the trunk are too powerful and thick for a bunjin. Also, the practically perfect taper of the trunk.

I can't type enough times how magnificent this tree is. I really look forward to it filling in a bit and the new pot. Just an awesome tree.

Rob

I would have to agree with the reasons stated above with the exception of it being an informal upright based on your question in your other post.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really can't call this bunjin... But it alludes to the style anyhow. Hopefully I will have the full article on this Lantana Camara done in a few days ;)

lan8.jpg

Here is another lantana I am currently carving. I have no idea what the style would be called..haha It has a long long way to go. Not to steal the thread but does anyone have an idea of what front to use??

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0609.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
View attachment 29294View attachment 29295
Here are two that I am currently working on, they are Buttonwoods, dug
from the Mountains of Florida. :p
The second, I will start working on foilage and branch work come this spring.
This was a pic taken right after I had removed half of it's branches, and was
looking kinda sad. It will have a foilage style kinda like the first.

I think you should take me to some of these "mountains" some time. haha ;)

Will you carve either of those or leave them be? Nice trees!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This one is a Procumbins nana in training for about wo years now. This was after the first styling.
file-137.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't have a bunjin, but I do like the examples given here. I really like Dave's red pine and the buttonwoods. The tattoo is dedication I respect that.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All those comments on the other bunjin threads and only nine examples shown!!! I know there are more and better bunjins lurking out there, how about sharing?

Top Bottom