Show us some of your bunjins under construction

Reaction score
This is one of my black pines. The photo was before it was needle plucked and thinned out last month so it looks a bit heavy. I planted it this year in an antique Chinese nanban pot, I purchased in Japan, that is approx. 100 years old.
John
IMG_1251.jpg

Reaction score
And here is one that I helped one of my students create in the Kaikou School. The student made the pot as well though I think, at the proper time, a better (and smaller) one Image 1.jpgImage.jpgwould be more appropriate.

Reaction score
One that is not mine but I was asked to wire at Taisho-en when I was there. A very classic style bunjin-gi white pine.Image055.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great trees, John. I'd love to see that first JBP now that it's all cleaned up, but we'll probably have to wait until March...looks like RI is getting a bit of the white stuff right now:D.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my potentilla that was originally part of a larger tree that I sawed into 4 pieces. This was the best part left over. I think I will remove the lower left branch this spring.

I really like the bunjin pines you showed, John.

700.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi John...All the trees you posted are outstanding.. The black pine is an exceptional bonsai.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Davetree.. That is a very nice bunjin.. Also, not a common species for a bunjin which makes it even more unique. Also, the story about its creation is very interesting. Nice work and dedication.

Rob

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These are all very nice, perhaps I will attempt one someday. I also believe they are the hardest idea to pull off. And wrongly done, just look silly.
Thanks for the topic!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Good stuff everyone! I only have two that can be considered bunjin/literati at the moment, but since it has become my favorite style, I plan to add to my collection. Also, I love the tat!

Attachments

• DSCF2237.JPG
    DSCF2237.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCF2232.JPG
    DSCF2232.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 268

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like both of these. What kind of tree is the first one?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry, the first is an Engelmann Spruce collected in Washington near Mount Hood. The other is a very tall Green Atlas Cedar with a somewhat unknown history. Both can be found in my post history if you want to see more pics and get the full story.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brian, I love that engleman! And the cedar may well do you proud, but it almost looks too fat at the base...(no strike that -reverse it... too fat at the top is what I meant!)

Fred, I have long admired this tree, and most especially the pot. Whose pot is it?
That said, I'd like to see a bit more angle on the trunk. Too straight up for me now...

Last edited:

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a Tokoname pot, 9.5" in diameter. There is a chop, but I haven't pursued identification. If I find time...

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
A couple of very bad phone snapshots of two I'm working on.

California juniper
bunjin 002.jpg

Chaparral honeysuckle, collected 3 years ago.
bunjin 007.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are two fine looking trees Paulh ! I love the first one with the shari, but the trunk on the second one is majestic, I had to make a choice I would choose them both...

ed

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Love that juniper. Thats going to be an amazing tree. When you get a chance could you post a better picture? Please......:)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I'm considering grafting itoigawa on the Cali. to tighten it up but haven't decided yet. I just put the big bend in the top so it will need a while to recover from that.

Top Bottom