Show us your 3 favorite Bonsai....

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I figured we could do something fun to offset the political/religous thread that is grabbing all the posts.... :)

Lets post our 3 favorite trees that we own. They don't have to be the best trees you have, just your favorites. It could be that it was your very first bonsai, a gift from a loved one or your best trees. Its up to you.

This should'nt turn into a bashing thread or anything like that, just share some pics and keep it fun. Not a competition, or anything like that....just trying to shift gears a bit and have some fun. With BT down I am sure there are some wanting to post trees.... ")

Make sense??

I will go first. I have many trees that fit the bill, but I kinda narrowed it down to these 3....in no particular order.

Vine Maple, this I collected growing on the side of a mountain and was radically changed from how we found it. This is one of my favorites because it is large, is the best Vine Maple I have seen and was the most fun to work on of any tree I have styled to date. Pictured this morning in between rain storms..... just leafing out.
0001.jpg

Rocky Mt Juniper.
This is a favorite for obvious reasons. Said by many to be one of the best junipers in the country and I learned a TON working on this under the guidance of Walter Pall. It has only had an initial styling and will get some root work in the next few weeks.

0002.jpg

Ponderosa Pine.
I love this tree because it was one of the first major stylings that I have done by myself. It was a major transformation from what it started out as and was a blast to work on. The results are pretty good. I removed most of the wire a few months ago and will rewire it this summer. I will also widdle the roots into a better pot over the coming few years.
0006.jpg

NEXT.........

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shohin is not really you style is it :)

great trees the first is my fav

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Shohin is not really you style is it :)

great trees the first is my fav

I have very good shohin too...infact I am becoming more and more fond of shohin....they are much harder to work on than the big trees.... :D

Jason

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Jason! Awesome trees man... that little ponderosa is perhaps my favorite ponderosa I've seen.

With the vine maple - did that second trunk die or did you decide to remove it? It still looks great, but that must have been a tough decision (unless it died!)

Awesome trees... I would post something but I'm at work (obviously working very hard haha)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason! Awesome trees man... that little ponderosa is perhaps my favorite ponderosa I've seen.

With the vine maple - did that second trunk die or did you decide to remove it? It still looks great, but that must have been a tough decision (unless it died!)

Awesome trees... I would post something but I'm at work (obviously working very hard haha)

Thanks amkhalid.....

On the vine maple the snd trunk died on its own....it is alive up to about 8 to 10 inches above the soil line. If you look you can see lots of new shoots coming from there. I need to remove them. I left the dead trunk long because right now it is an anchor for guy wires.

When you get home post some trees :D

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't even have 3 bonsai(s), but thanks for sharing.

-Dave

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A scots pine, from a very young seedling taken in forest about 15 years ago. still in training, but one of my favourite :

pinus_bunjin_090317.jpg

A Japanese maple, from a cutting that was as thick as a match 12 years ago, because of its changing colours :

acerp_ishigami_080718b.jpg

acerp_ishigami_081102sm.jpg

And a larch, from a 2-3 year-old seedling. the photo was taken two weeks ago, the foliage is more dense now :

mlz9402_090411.jpg

... and :

I figured we could do something fun to offset the political/religous thread that is grabbing all the posts....

Thank you ever so much for such a sensible suggestion.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for posting 3 nice trees! Glad to see someone else post!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Alright alright... I agree we need to get some bonsai on this forum... or pre-bonsai. I'm a student and have only been doing bonsai a few years... so I do what I can.

Hard to say if these are my 'favorite' trees, but I am enjoying them right now... its not nice to pic favorites :p

First pic is a tiny (~10cm) potentilla which I started last summer from nursery stock... deadwood still isn't finished but its close. I just repotted it from a 1 gallon nursery pot to a tiny training pot. I am letting it recover... it will be defoliated and wired a few weeks. These are nice trees in the spring but the foliage gets out of control very quickly... I have some tricks up my sleeve which may solve that problem though ;)

pot1.jpg

The second is another small (~12cm) potentilla from nursery stock... It just had its 1st hard pruning and repot (Nick Lenz pot... too big but was the right size for now). I like how it almost has an oak-ish feel to it. I think it will have the basic branch structure done by the end of this season - again, they grow like weeds.

pot2.jpg

Final is a Korean Hornbeam stump. I like this tree because it is such a challenge. It needs branches... I have done some thread grafting on it, and am also thickening the first main branch (it had 2 ft shoots growing off it last year). Long way to go (estimating another 5 years of thickening branches and growing a new apex), but in the end I hope the hard work will pay off.

koho.jpg

p.s. I will be in Harrisburg for Walters workshop on Friday, hopefully I will see some of you there!

Cheers

Aaron

Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AlainK
WOW these are fantastic

for the last one BIG wow that you were able to acheive something like that in just 3 years

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
@AlainK
WOW these are fantastic

for the last one BIG wow that you were able to acheive something like that in just 3 years

I'm doubting it was grown from seed....ha..ha..ha. Great Material!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm doubting it was grown from seed....ha..ha..ha. Great Material!

My English is not so good, what I said was ambiguous : it was a 2-3 year-old seedlind when I planted it in a pot. Er, some 12 years ago :eek:

At the time, I wasn't aware that it should be put in a growing box for a few years otherwise it can take very long to form. Here is what it looked like in October 2004, before i cut off the top and use a branch from the back to form a new leader :

mlz9402_040110_1.jpg

Much less spectacular now, but yet, I still like it :)

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok, here's three from me.

Attachments

• juniper.jpg
    juniper.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 122
  • cedar elm.jpg
    cedar elm.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 114
  • chinese elm.jpg
    chinese elm.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 118
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My new favorite and really my first major styling of any signifigance.

A landscape rip up from one of my clients. I decided to save 3 of them and I gave one away to a friend. This is the second season since I dug them out of the ground. This one is showing good signs of vigor this year so I decided it could take the trauma.

I did not do any work on the foliage planes this year except wire them in place. Next year repot into transition box and then wait and see for super refinement.

:D

Attachments

• S7300982.jpg
    S7300982.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 110
  • S7300985.jpg
    S7300985.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 78
  • S7300981.jpg
    S7300981.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 76
  • S7300975.jpg
    S7300975.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 79
  • S7300973.jpg
    S7300973.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 92

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just went out and got a few pics before it started raining too hard, here are my current 3

Trident Maple- Imported from Korea many years ago, when I purchased it was just a stump.
Bald Cypress- Collected from the swamps of East Texas.
Ponderosa pine- Purchased from you Jason a few Years ago.

Attachments

• Trident. 1.jpg
    Trident. 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Bald Cypress. 1.jpg
    Bald Cypress. 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Ponderosa. 1.jpg
    Ponderosa. 1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An old pic of the same from 2007/8 winter.

Attachments

• S7300054.jpg
    S7300054.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 96

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
This is a fav of mine. Just cause it is unique. A olive styled like a pine.
These are old photos and taken after a hard pruning. I have a lot more leaves now and the trunk is starting to fatten up. I have it in a large grow box in full sun. I plan on showing it as a nice shohin in the next few years.

Attachments

• IMG_4650.jpg
    IMG_4650.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4647.jpg
    IMG_4647.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My very first bonsai is this kingsville boxwood
100_1855.jpg

My biggest tree is this Japanese black pine
100_1852.jpg

This last tree is a shinpaku I did in a workshop at the St. Louis Shohin convention, sorry for the bad pic.
100_1960.jpg

Andrew

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my three favorite at the moment - all shohin - Kingsville boxwood, Crimson Pygmy barberry, and Goldflame spirea.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 88
  • 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom