Show us Your Airlayers

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
What’s the general consensus on prime timing to start an air layer for acers? I have a Shishigashira that I’m waiting to take an air layer from and from what I’ve read so far it seems that after the first flush has hardened off it’s go time.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What’s the general consensus on prime timing to start an air layer for acers? I have a Shishigashira that I’m waiting to take an air layer from and from what I’ve read so far it seems that after the first flush has hardened off it’s go time.
There is no concensus ;) Some people put them on before budbreak, others at. Most agree that you need to put them on before mid-summer. After that it might become too late for separation in the same year.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had success with layers started from mid winter through mid spring. I don't really see a difference in success rate between those times, though this is just my gut feeling. One thing I like about starting the layers before bud break is it can be easier to work on the tree before it's covered in leaves.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here’s a dawn redwood air layer from a nursery tree I took in 2022 getting it's first repot. I plan to shorten both trunks a bit later in the season once I see what I have to work with. There are some gaps in the roots that I will have to keep an eye on to see if root grafts are needed in the future.

1000002490.jpg
1000002491.jpg
1000002492.jpg

This is the parent tree. I was going to air layer it again this year, but I decided I liked it the way it was, so I repotted it as well. It still needs some work on the branches, but I will work on that later in the year. The roots were surprisingly nice for a nursery tree.

20240316_094716.jpg
20240316_104400.jpg
20240316_110705.jpg

Top Bottom