Show Us Your Bonsai Benches

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, this is the tread i was looking for.
All benches are very nice, a lot of creativity.
Im planning too do mine this spring coming, will show photos once done.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was going to build the 2 tier one and was looking for ideas, and i really like yours Drew, good idea not to extend the top one over the bottom one!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was going to build the 2 tier one and was looking for ideas, and i really like yours Drew, good idea not to extend the top one over the bottom one!
Yes, Pot space is very different from canopy space. And along with canopy space comes nail heads or hooks or some accommodation for tying down trees with high America's Cup class sail surface-to-footprint ratio. It is very disheartening to finally get a nice tree into a small pot and finding it on the ground after a windy night.

Boerboel313

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, Pot space is very different from canopy space. And along with canopy space comes nail heads or hooks or some accommodation for tying down trees with high America's Cup class sail surface-to-footprint ratio. It is very disheartening to finally get a nice tree into a small pot and finding it on the ground after a windy night.
Makes sense to me. Sounds to me like you need to reef those canopies.

NateDav

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick question to all experienced guys, this will be my first bench built myself so need a bit of advice,
Would 3 by 2x6 boards stand the weight ? instead of using 2x8 as on the photos?

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are mine. Just some stained scaffolding boards screwed together and supported on concrete blocks. Some shelving underneath.

Attachments

• WP_20190201_006.jpg
    WP_20190201_006.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 181

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was all a herb garden a previous owner had built. I tore out all the rotting raised beds, kept the elk fence (required) and jerry-rigged the existing irrigation system. More practical than pretty. Maybe there is an idea or two there. More likely my mediocre carpentry skills were fully exposed.View attachment 176289View attachment 176290View attachment 176291View attachment 176292View attachment 176293View attachment 176294
how does the irrigation system work? Is it on a timer? Where do you buy the parts?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd love to see how this area has changed over the last year. Show us some pictures with trees on the benches!
Well, here’s how it looked when it was nice and pristine... then we had a massive thunderstorm and a “thousand year flood.” Many of the pebbles in the drainage stream got washed away, ruts cut into the terraces, and sand washed over some of the gravel. So, it will be under construction for a while as I sift the gravel, fill the ruts, recover the pebbles and put in a retaining wall. The benches are intact, of course. I’ll post something when they’re populated.
2346DEFF-7793-415B-B11C-1D3125BF2DB6.jpeg

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, I'm sorry about the flood! I love the dry river bed of black stones, that's really classy.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seeing this thread again got me thinking about all the work I did last year on the garden. More work on benches than trees.
From this:
View attachment 240556
To this:
View attachment 240557
And still more to do o_O!
That looks great! The paint makes a big difference, also the mulch and edging is really nice.

Top Bottom