Show your birch / betula

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some tiny European White Birch trees collected as volunteer seedlings in 2014

This one needs to be rotated when next repotted. It’s about 11" tall
56270EF6-E071-44A1-AE20-09668F9DAEDE.jpeg

This tree needs a change in its potting angle to reduce its backwards lean. It’s about 10" tall
72172E7A-3A2B-4C7C-BCE4-7A750932BDAA.jpeg BA18AD49-F52F-46FF-9DE9-B6C156F091FF.jpeg

Reaction score
I am curious, people is not having Birch trees because they don’t have access to good material or why?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I dug this little birch (Downy birch, Betula pubescens I think) last November and immediately ground layered it. The original trunk and root system were cut off late this summer, I'll pot it up properly in the spring. It was pruned a couple of times during the growing season and has responded well so far.
I'm hoping to turn it into an interesting, if slightly unconventional, shohin tree - it's about 20cm tall.

I have pushed this one pretty hard, but it has survived so far and seems vigorous. And if it dies, well... it was free.

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I am curious, people is not having Birch trees because they don’t have access to good material or why?
Birch have a deserved reputation for being poor bonsai subjects, because they have a tendency to drop branches and die back. Often the stress of bonsai techniques will cause the trunks to die, and be replaced by suckers from the base. They can make lovely trees, but they can be very frustrating to work with.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like Birch and was shown by a local friend that they can be very successful as Bonsai. I collected this little one in 2014 and wish I had collected more.

I have not found them to be much different than other deciduous species so far. I’ve heard not to let the top grow beyond 4 or so nodes because it can allow it to get to strong and drop lower branches.

This tree gets a new pot next spring.
38328A42-4C14-4A9F-B0E4-E8D2041E75B3.jpeg

Reaction score
I really like Birch and was shown by a local friend that they can be very successful as Bonsai. I collected this little one in 2014 and wish I had collected more.

I have not found them to be much different than other deciduous species so far. I’ve heard not to let the top grow beyond 4 or so nodes because it can allow it to get to strong and drop lower branches.

This tree gets a new pot next spring.
View attachment 211952

Looks good . :)

Reaction score
The internet is full of the same info: birch will die back in certain conditions.

However, there are people growing it with success. It seems that pruning back new shoots to 2-3 leaves after flushes of growth through the growing season and avoiding pruning while the tree is not in active growth. This is what Harry Harrington from Bonsai4me is saying.

Anyone tried to respect these ideas and had the same bad results? Is this a myth or a real problem that can be solved?

I think that a birch forest would look awesome. Walter's opinion is needed here.

@Walter Pall

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
However, there are people growing it with success. It seems that pruning back new shoots to 2-3 leaves after flushes of growth through the growing season and avoiding pruning while the tree is not in active growth. This is what Harry Harrington from Bonsai4me is saying.
This technique is also reported by Dennis Vojtilla, recipient of the 2016 National Show’s Best Deciduous award for an European White Birch.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A birch by Dennis Vojtilla won the best in show at the 5th US National Bonsai Exhibition.

tumblr_pcm9bomuov1uxht1oo1_1280.jpg

Here's one I collected recently. I'm not sure what species it is exactly. Perhaps river birch. Currently growing the top out to have a better transition from the chop.

P-3VcL-zQ6m8WSiF3o96_TR8KOowhJXOB2WFtLCUdTAxF47XKN1monA7aDntopr8gfFh2FHXr5Vka-YzVGD9qZyv4ncnshkyJfeeGE-Z_S9LglBGQWw0UPAhySZn6jmBoy2Puy_-EQbzN4UpVd-3miDpV2o02FrjLk7lwQFNC_govXnkqT85UOoBZOniclmrTi8Z4-ETj7Cbm_8ij5PS_KYmTnqJRVXAi-j_o-79oQEjosnZuxUk3lLVyEEzt06oUN9ux6YhN88A99WLrEEivGeUhzmqCXaeKLSXdHs0_VyPUTmNiUls9Cl6EEsirc7tFhKjXHf23O8AQqcHPKDpWXkRqsJ8CF27-aa1awyA81B8L96G95v8CBbJQOIlQNH8dTxCgEEXkISNYCHqQXo5bAugA_S6at43lU7NLHmCKHS98oDN97g5mQuxmjpXT1aW7WxWs_ZU8XEZSEHR4rHmcXiCAm7XVQQ2Vn9WlJFMQ_yeXQBaFiIjPL1NejHSNDgTTaIyvJWGaH2XdP98ZWMDLHkLX5JwXFhD9SZSqEe2UMuspnn8W6uWwoRmir223kcPcHzZMKKOwvn149wNDsRv6IgqDqUenhyrD29t-CaGKXxyhaNocopsGaCi9oRIk6C9sEvY9X3DLrQigjXVyjr418Ud2FmYfrIls3icgTywPxlHIr2SiAF-Bwyf=w593-h582-no

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I think that a birch forest would look awesome.
Why there are not plenty of birch forest plantings is a question for me as well. Taking into consideration branch structure in the forest planting is not so important and can be covered easily. Having enough space I would start to make the large forest with young birches right away.

Here are two of my birch trees, one of them have separated thread here.

DSC_8933.JPG

DSC_7302.JPG

Top Bottom