I missed this one picture, I kinda like the bunjin feel of this one
67F27B75-E6D7-4A36-B9C0-780A89028DDD.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Paper birch Betula papyrifera is known to dislike long hot summers. Does best in the northern tier of states, the more boreal the better. In Illinois and further south bronze birch borer will wipe out stressed trees. It is considered endangered in IL, more because most of IL is too warm, it never had wide distribution in IL. Heat and Humidity are bad for Paper birch.

River birch, or black birch, Betula nigra is much more heat tolerant and insect resistant. Darker cinnamon bark, aging to black fissured bark. A couple of our study group members have tried them, with zero living past 3 or 4 years. Trouble seems to start when you get aggressive about training them.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this is old , but I have noted- I have 3 birch in my yard. Paper birch is more prone to die back. The old betula pendula has zero dieback, despite being sandwiched in between two trees. Seems silver birch is the better option. With birches being able to hybrid freely with others, kind of a crap shoot.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Can we see some updated photos of these trees?

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Looking good! Thanks for the pics.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just collected about 6 weeks ago, but doing OK so far. Can't wait to cut back once it regains some vigor

Attachments

• 20210513_200826.jpg
    20210513_200826.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 51

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top half.. after work today

Attachments

• 20210514_184946.jpg
    20210514_184946.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 83

Birchbark

Seedling
Reaction score
I dug this little birch (Downy birch, Betula pubescens I think) last November and immediately ground layered it. The original trunk and root system were cut off late this summer, I'll pot it up properly in the spring. It was pruned a couple of times during the growing season and has responded well so far.
I'm hoping to turn it into an interesting, if slightly unconventional, shohin tree - it's about 20cm tall.

I have pushed this one pretty hard, but it has survived so far and seems vigorous. And if it dies, well... it was free.
Hiya Tom

Hows the tree doing? I think yours is the first mention ive seen about a successful ground layer of a birch. Please could you let me know how you performed the groundlayer? How is the tree doing now?

Thanks

Ali

Top Bottom