show your seigen maple!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had to google that one...I haven't heard of it before.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got a couple but they haven't bud out yet. Do seigen bud our later than most JP?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice one Adair!

Here is mine photographed as it was just barely budding out in April. Unfortunately I missed taking a pic of it with its spring foliage which is a remarkable hot pink/red color. It easily rivals the most brilliant of maples like deshojo. Sadly, it is also notorious for poor autumn colors. The best specimen in the US that I know of is owned by Bill V.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, mine completely flopped last fall.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
And Bill just took this thread Nuclear! A couple trees posted that are very nice little Maples, then Bill posted pics of trees we buy books just to read about- Well, I do anyway... Specifically, isn't that first one you posted on the cover of "Classical Bonsai Art"? That just happens to be the last Bonsai book I purchased- Highly recommended!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I take bonsai pretty seriously, but can't recall a time when I've worked on one in the bathroom. :rolleyes:
Way to take it up a notch, Adair!

Ha ha!

Yeah, I brought some of the shohin inside during one of the cold snaps this spring. Didn't have anywhere to put them where I could water them. Took them into the bath room so I could water them over the sink.

I think I've got a new line for Ron Anderson's "You know you're a bonsai freak when you..." Facebook page!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, I think I've got a new line for Ron Anderson's "You know you're a bonsai freak when you..." Facebook page!
Indeed...Bonsai in a can!
Now if he could only change the "your" to "you're" I may be able to read it without gritting my teeth!

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where's a reliable source for getting Seigen that's intended for Bonsai (not grafted)?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would try Wm. Valavanis.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
same here!! out of my budget by like 7400

does anyone know why these are not very popular anymore? older books have a lot of them.
I guess because nobody can find them! Jk

I went and did some intensive research ( this new site called "google", fist result...)
http://www.kiginursery.com/dwarf-miniatures/acer-palmatum-seigen-japanese-maple-tree/

Looks like there are some to be found...

Now, is it a tiny little twig grafted onto to regular JM stock? I am sure it is... Get your layering skills up and make your own trees from one of these... A couple years from now you could have a whole mini- tree army of them! :)

Top Bottom