Shrub Honeysuckle, waste of time?

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being invasive, I usually destroy honeysuckle when I can. In the process of cutting down this one that I found growing on a rock, I thought it might have interest. So I potted it. It is not the optimal time of year or weather (over 90) today, but these plants are indestructible without using herbicides. The long linear growth they show in a given growing season does not seem very adaptable to bonsai, nevertheless, some people do use them. So I potted the remains of this one, that I had just chopped off the top. It has a twin trunk over an interesting roots, which could be problematic. Should I throw it out or work with it and see what can be done?

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 27

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you like the way it looks, keep watering it. If you don't like it, throw it on the compost heap.

Shrub honeysuckle is not an easy subject, the long internodes between buds is a pain. But if you like the fallen over log look of the root that you have on your start, keep working with it. Occasionally bush honeysuckle specimens make it to bonsai shows. So it can be done.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They are a great deal of "work"... for very slow results, and easy mistakes... but tough as nails and attractive to wildlife.

I've been working with some local Lonicera for a few years... and am JUST NOW beginning to "understand" them.

Endemic honeysuckles, NOW, personally, fall under, "A damn good/aesthetically-pleasing specimen is 'worth it'" consideration.

I just started a Thread on North American Lonicera in the TinyTree Study Group Sub-Forum.... it's cold-weather heavy there, too...

You should check it out.. you'd probably be the first reply, given how "new" it(Lonicera Thread) is. 😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't give/leave too many low options... they take a "cut and run" approach sometimes to nutrient/resource delivery (if struggling/recovering AT ALL)

Top Bottom