Shrub identification....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The leaves look like azalea except too large according to the full pic of the shrub.

00k0k_g5FsreFVOtx_600x450.jpg

00b0b_cs7EImBlxi7_600x450.jpg

Brian

Attachments

• 00k0k_g5FsreFVOtx_600x450.jpg
    00k0k_g5FsreFVOtx_600x450.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 13
  • 00b0b_cs7EImBlxi7_600x450.jpg
    00b0b_cs7EImBlxi7_600x450.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 16

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My guess is some sort of larger leaf Rhododendron.

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rhododendrons and azaleas both belong to the genus Rhododendron. Azaleas make up two subgenera of Rhododendron. Mostly, small leaved Rhododendron (genus) are classified into one of the Azalea subgenera, but this is not categorically true, and there are some smaller leafed Rhododendrons (species).

I'm not an expert, but the leaves do look pretty similar to a typical azalea, but appear larger, as you pointed out. Not sure that helped, but I'd suggest asking a local nursery for a suggested ID, as they will be most familiar with local landscape shrubs, especially if you can find an older employee. (That shrub looks like it's been there a while)

Based on just a tiny bit of online searching, it seems that the easiest way to Identify the species (if it's an azalea) is by it's flower (color, shape, composition, etc.) http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/ars/natives.htm

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Rhododendrons and azaleas both belong to the genus Rhododendron. Azaleas make up two subgenera of Rhododendron. Mostly, small leaved Rhododendron (genus) are classified into one of the Azalea subgenera, but this is not categorically true, and there are some smaller leafed Rhododendrons (species).

I'm not an expert, but the leaves do look pretty similar to a typical azalea, but appear larger, as you pointed out. Not sure that helped, but I'd suggest asking a local nursery for a suggested ID, as they will be most familiar with local landscape shrubs, especially if you can find an older employee. (That shrub looks like it's been there a while)

Based on just a tiny bit of online searching, it seems that the easiest way to Identify the species (if it's an azalea) is by it's flower (color, shape, composition, etc.) http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/ars/natives.htm
Deff NOT Azalea... Leaves look too shiny and waxy, and the growth pattern showing in the wide shot is all wrong...

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves may be larger as that bush is planted in a pretty shaded area.

ed

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They never responded to my email anyway....Thank ya"ll for the help.

Brian

Top Bottom