Shrubby crab in summer

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Figured I give this one a bump......looks kinda' like Caddytaste's........Something to shoot for, Darlene?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

It will look great on that slab!;)
Beautiful contrast to the flowers and fruit.

Oh...you mean the pot?:eek:

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You got crabs...! Lovely tree with the little fruits.

I'm expecting a apple tree next week and was wondering what substrate you're using.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey @LanceMac10 I've heard deciduous trees set rather quickly...do you find that with the crabapple? Curious what to expect from wiring...if when removed if I will have to just wire new growth...or, backtrack and rewire what I remove and the new growth.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These seem pretty flexible. At least the newer growth is.
Wire, grow, cutback, wire, grow etc........for flowers though, prune early( before end of June?) then let grow so the tree can set flower buds.
At least that's how I do it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These seem pretty flexible. At least the newer growth is.
Wire, grow, cutback, wire, grow etc........for flowers though, prune early( before end of June?) then let grow so the tree can set flower buds.
At least that's how I do it.

So you don't do any pruning after June? Yes, I found no major issues wiring mine the other day. Yup...intentions of as you state. Was just curious if they seem to hold or not once wire is removed. I found wiring enjoyable...not that I grasp the just of it. So I guess it doesn't really matter. Do you do a slight defoliating when you wire while in leaf?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One or two prunings in spring and if needed, early summer. The tree needs time to set flower buds. Pruning too late could lead to more vegetative growth, not flower bud production.
Hell, you might even be cutting off flower buds.
Spray for fungus in the spring as leaves emerge, the uptake is better at that time. Spray for aphids and such as the new shoots extend, their drawn to the tender, sweet growth.:eek:
Spray at the second flush as well....trust me, they can't resist.....damn bugs!!:p:mad:
Not an expert, just some things I've observed that might help you!:cool:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One or two prunings in spring and if needed, early summer. The tree needs time to set flower buds. Pruning too late could lead to more vegetative growth, not flower bud production.
Hell, you might even be cutting off flower buds.
Spray for fungus in the spring as leaves emerge, the uptake is better at that time. Spray for aphids and such as the new shoots extend, their drawn to the tender, sweet growth.:eek:
Spray at the second flush as well....trust me, they can't resist.....damn bugs!!:p:mad:
Not an expert, just some things I've observed that might help you!:cool:
I'll be taking this advise as well for my recently collected apple. Thanks much.

Aaron

Top Bottom